Chewing non-toy items Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jojo Bananas

Thread: Chewing non-toy items

Default Chewing non-toy items

Buddy is 11 months old and will still chew on non-toy things like pens, sunglasses, papers, water bottles, basically anything he can get a hold of. The even more frustrating part of this is when I go to get these things from him, he thinks it's a game and runs away. He wants to me to catch him. I try not to give into this game. How do i change this behaviour?
    Our first BT: Buddy (2013-08-13)

Let me know when you find an answer. LOL.

We've been working on teaching "leave it". Do this with treats first. Put a large treat in one hand, and have a bunch of tiny ones in the other. Open the hand with the big treat, say "leave it". When he goes to it, close your hand. When he looks at you, or looks away treat him. As he get better at it, you can put the treat on the floor and try it. Start doing it with other random house things or toys. Then when he grabs something you don't want, you can use your leave it command.

For us, she has to know that I have a treat if she has something really good, like a pen. Like, I have to shake the treat bag or open the treat jar.

You can also try with a water bottle. When he grabs something bad, squirt him with water, and treat him when he lets it go and leaves it.

I work on this one daily, as it is a major struggle. CoCo just loves being chased! She grabs things she knows she's not supposed to because she knows she'll get chased.
    Last edited by Jojo Bananas; 07-09-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks. I'll try the leave it command and your other suggestions!
    Our first BT: Buddy (2013-08-13)

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

It's definitely going to take time and persistence. Don't give up!
    Buds likes this.

+ Reply to Thread