Puppy Chewing & Tearing Up Pee Pad Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Puppy Chewing & Tearing Up Pee Pad

Default Puppy Chewing & Tearing Up Pee Pad

My puppy has recently started tearing up his pee pad in his pen. I work 8 hours a day and leave my puppy in his pen while I am away. Right before I leave the house I will hear him in his room ripping the pee pad to shreds. He is about 3 months old now and I know he is starting to teeth, but how can I prevent him from ripping up the pee pad? It is almost like he knows I am leaving and does it on purpose so I will have to go in there and change it out, because he will only tear it up in the morning right before I leave. Other than that he will not touch it other than to eliminate on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Bowie never liked those pads either and he would just use them as a play toy.

You could try positive clicker training techniques, but it is going to be a lot of work reversing the behavior, as 8 hours without a human seems like a lot for a puppy. I was lucky that we have my wife's parents nearby and they could take Bowie out every couple of hours, so with a combination of using crate training with clicker training, Bowie who is about 7 months and is about 95% potty trained.

Do you leave him with lots of toys?

Opie did that too. I don't think it was anything intentional about the pee pad itself. If he had the chance to steal a roll of papertowels or a box of kleenix or roll of toilet paper - I'm betting he would do the same. Opie has done all of the above. Stole a box of kleenix just this week. And he loves to turn over the garbage can and take out paper products to play with. And he has lots of toys. Forbidden fruit is always sweetest.

Agree that having someone check on him during the day would be great. Might not stop he papershredding, but would still be best for him.

Default Thank you all!

Thank you all for the great advice. I do leave him about 3 toys in his pen with him and he is pretty good about entertaining himself. I even have the pee pad in a holder, but he seems to pull it out of the holder, which completely defeats the purpose of the holder. I am going to look into maybe my husband's parents coming over to check on Barkley. They actually just live down the road. Thanks again for all the wonderful advice!

Do you take your puppy for a good LOONG walk in the morning before you leave? Waldo also tore up his paper pad, no matter how many chew toys we left for him to play with. I started to walk (and jog) with him in the morning before I left. He comes back tired (and empty!) and goes right to sleep. Eventually, he stopped peeing in his pen/hallway nook, and we took the paper pad away altogether. He is 8 months old now. I guess he learned its better to wait for mom and dad to go potty...Maybe that could help. Good luck!

Young Pup

I'm new on here so I hope I'm doing this right. I understand about your little gay/gal chewing up the pee pads. My spoiled boy does the same thing from time to time and recently found out how to push the chairs out from the table and jump up on them and onto the table...Other then that issue as far as chewing he does I think when hes bored. More then anything it's probably a boredom issue, look into people who would come to your house or maybe there is a responsible adult or older kid who might be interested in dog walking for a little spare change. It'll give your pup a chance to get out and not be locked away for 8 straight hours. Just an idea. And most likely just a phase, it's a pup, that's what they do best but when he/she gets bigger and becomes trustworthy I guarantee you won't have that issue. Good Luck.
    Hes such a spoiled boy! Yeah I'm talking about my BT haha.

+ Reply to Thread