Help! Boston eats everything on the ground ... Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! Boston eats everything on the ground ...

Default Help! Boston eats everything on the ground ...

Hi,

My Boston has always had a problem eating everything he see's loose on the ground (rocks, grass, leaves, fur, etc.) Luckily I keep a close eye on him when we go for walks and am able to take whatever he has in his mouth out before he swallows it. I've had a friend who's Lab ate rocks, and unfortunately died from this. He's been doing this since he was a younger pup. He's 8 months now! He knows the "leave it" command at home, but when outside, geez. I'm even sorry to say that I've tried carrying a spray bottle too during walks... didn't work. Do you guys have any suggestions? If this is a phase... this is one long phase!
    Amysmommy likes this.

Well I can't help you but I can say that Dexter is a little vacuum cleaner! EVERYTHING goes into his mouth! He especially likes dried leaves and pebbles, I have no idea why. He hasn't done any cigerette butts yet thank god. I don't think there's ever an end to this though, there's another thread around here that talks about the weird things our BTs have eaten. I'll look around and try to find it.

Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

No rocks ... counting my blessings.
    But Oogy and Rusty are into leaves, twigs and insects (and occasionally a baby bird or mouse).
    It's like candy to them.
    Just be glad they aren't eating poop.
    Congratulations!
    Today is your day.
    You’re off to Great Places!
    You’re off and away!
    You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    You’re on your own.
    And you know what you know.
    And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.
    Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
    - Dr. Seuss

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

I guess I should ease up on him. It's so stressful when I see him chewing on something. One time I found a piece of glass! But he's the ultimate vacuum cleaner. I don't think I ever had a cleaner kitchen floor. Well if anyone knows a good way to train a dog to stop eating everything off the ground, let me know.

I also have the same problem I don't know if there is anything we can do other than watch them and clear their mouths when they pics up rocks and stuff

Mine does the same thing. I'm always on alert with her especially on walks. She looooves leaves so walking can be a challenge sometimes! I guess all of us Boston owners are feeling your pain! Click here to enlarge Good luck and hopefully it is just a phase we are all experiencing with our Bostons. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by braverdave Click here to enlarge
    No rocks ... counting my blessings.
    But Oogy and Rusty are into leaves, twigs and insects (and occasionally a baby bird or mouse).
    It's like candy to them.
    Just be glad they aren't eating poop.
    Agreed!

Uma's almost a year & a half and she still chews on sticks like there's no tomorrow. Crazy dog.

Click here to enlarge

Opie turned 2 in June and he's much better at not putting everything in his mouth. You have to be diligent and jerk the leash when they start to grab something. I was never quick enough with the leash but I got pretty good at sweeping his mouth. Even managed not to get bit every time.

Sally loves leaves too! Havent gone on walks yet cause she isnt 100% vaccinated yet but i am going to do my best to get her to focus on the walk and me as much as possible!

Click here to enlarge
    Sally is Septembers Cutest Dog!

Radar LOVES pine cones. He used to love pebbles, too, but we've restricted his access to them and luckily he doesn't notice them at the dog park. Pine cones are a different story, though. I can't figure out how to break him of that one. Radar has swallowed enough foreign matter without any side effects (knock on wood). He has eaten plenty of bark, pebbles, pine cones, leaves, deer and rabbit poop, and even half of a dead & decaying mouse. The mouse was the worst - I almost threw up 3 times trying to get it away from him. Let us know if you find a good solution!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast