Boston Abusing Cat - How to Stop This? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boston Abusing Cat - How to Stop This?

All-American Dog

DefaultBoston Abusing Cat - How to Stop This?

My dog will be age 2 in late October. My cat is about age 6. I have no other pets. My problem is their interaction.

Today I let the dog in from doing his business in the back yard through the rear entrance of the house into the porch, up the steps, then into the house. The cat was perched on the cement ledge of the porch which supports the jalousie windows above. The dog accompanied me up the steps, turned around, went back down the steps, up to the cat and grabbed his tail with his teeth and pulled. I yelled. The dog let the cat go. The cat wagged his tail.

This is hard to explain. The cat will lie in the hallway on his back in a "come hither" position, and the dog will oblige by going up to him and nuzzling his ear, face, hind end, and then push him to get him to run so there can be a chase.

The dog continually postures a dominant stance with the cat. Straddles him, stands over him, cuts him off.

On the other hand, the dog lets the cat sleep in his bed, lets him drink and eat from his bowls (cat is fed on top of a dresser in a separate room).

I can't stand their usual behavior. The cat seems to ask for it and rarely fights back. I cannot predict how far the BT will take it. There has been no blood, but the BT will not stop the harrassment.

To me the dog needs way more physical activity than I can give him. Plus right now the heat index is 105*.
    Does anyone have experience with dog-cat interaction like this?
    Last edited by LIDuck; 08-12-2016 at 04:42 PM.

All-American Dog

I got some helpful advice from my cousin who is active in dog rescue. She advised using a squirt gun aimed at my dog's side to startle him, and stop the behavior. I bought a pack of three off Amazon. One for each area of the house. Easily grabbed. It has been like a miracle cure.

My BT and cat both, are deathly afraid of getting squirted. They immediately stop the rough housing, fighting, aggression, whatever it is, and have entered a calmer phase in their relationship. My dog gets a treat, and kitty gets petted. I have actually seen them snuggling once.

Karen + Pilot

Wow, Karen! That is great news! Thank you for posting this great solution.
    Studium Veritatis

+ Reply to Thread