My 5 month old boston is still sucking?? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My 5 month old boston is still sucking??

Young Pup

Default My 5 month old boston is still sucking??

I got my Boston Darla when she was 8 weeks old. And since the day we got her she sucks on our arms. Like as if she nursing. She does it more when she's about to go to sleep. Does anyone know why she does this????

emc

Sounds like she may have left the litter too soon. Could also be just a habit she developed.

------------------
    http://dogshop.50webs.com

Young Pup

i have a 7 month old boston and we have the same issue. its his blankets and toys he suckles on though, not us. i was assuming it was a teething issue, could that be possible?
    Veronica

Young Pup

Default my Allie

I have a 7 year old Boston and she still sucks her blanket! she was taken from her mom when she was only 5 weeks old! I think it's cute when she sucks her blanket! Kathy

Young Pup

Hey,

my Boston's 14 mths old and he still suckles on a particular blanky that's 'his'. I think it's just a Boston Terrier behaviaour, and not that they were taken from their mom too early. Mine was 10.5 weeks old when I picked him up. It's super adorable, but he has a habit of making really weird noises when he suckles. They used to be pretty loud, but we've managed to make him stop (most of the time anyway)

i think it's cute!

mine too.
    Sassy suckles a stuffed pig. She has damn near sucked the snout right off. She does it when she's bored. It's like filler.
    I think it's cute too :P

Default Suckling

Opie suckles a stuffed lamb and he's 14 months old. He was rejected by his birth mother and had to be bottled fed. I thought that's why he did it.

Young Pup Rupert B. Puppenstein's Avatar

Yikes! A puppy should never be taken from its mom before 8 weeks, but usually waiting until 12-weeks is so much better! The sucking behavior would explain a dog being taken away from its mother too early, and you may notice that a pup would be more bitey because of that too. Either way, although it is cute it needs to be discouraged. This is one case where our pups are very similar to children - any child that exhibits that behavior is weaned off of their pacifier or blanket, and something like bitter apple spray needs to be applied to the blanket, your arm, etc. to stop the behavior. Better yet, an 8-week old puppy should be crated at night to help with the housebreaking (which I know is hard because they are so cute!) Reason being that they will tend to get possessive of their blankie and could bite someone. Plus, the behavior will only turn into a habit the longer you let it go on. You definitely don't want that behavior.

+ Reply to Thread