Large Boston's ? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Large Boston's ?

Young Pup

Default Large Boston's ?

Is it uncommon for Boston's to be in the 30+ lb range? Are there breeders for the larger size or are these accidents ?

Most Boston's in UK are under 25lbs they come in three sizes but I think there was a comment once that a Boston over 30lbs was not a true Boston which seems a bit silly

Young Pup

I see big Boston's around town and sometimes in shelters and these are healthy, trim dogs. I prefer the bigger version myself and wanted to try to find one.

Panda is going to be in the 25-30 lb range she has very long legs and her mom and dad were big Bostons. Panda is only 5 months and she towers over most 1-2 year old Bostons and she and her parents are pure bread AKC Bostons.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Young Pup

Would you mind telling me the name of your breederfor Panda and if they have a website? What state are they in ?

They are located in Morgan Hill California, and I would not recommend them they did some real shady things to me and I only bought her because if I did not they were going to breed her. I gave them the riot act and ripped them up and down for how irresponsible they were. First they told me she was 12 weeks old and then told me she had not had any shots or worming yet. That pissed me off. I made them sign a 2 year health and congenital defects contract and I made them knock off 200.00. And it gets better, when I got home and reg her through the AKC I found out she was 14 weeks old. Yes they have a great breeding mom and dad but they have NO clue on breeding and care.
    Jensters and ilovemyboston like this.

They happen. I dont know how common it is, but just because their in that range doesnt mean that they have been poorly bred or arent full Boston. I think the AKC standard says they should weigh less, but that wouldnt be a problem unless you wanted to show the dog.
    I want to add that a responsible breeder doesnt breed for certain colors or sizes. They base their breeding mainly around health, temperment and do so to improve the breed. If you find a breeder who breeds for one specific thing (color, etc.) its a good idea to run the other way. As an example, theres only a small number of breeders who breed for color that are actually trying to improve those colors through health testing and so on.
    Some 70,000 puppies and kittens are born daily in the US.
    4,000,000 to 6,000,000 pets are euthanized every year because they are homeless,
    11,000 to 16,000 pets are euthanized every day because they are homeless.
    An animal in a shelter is killed every 1.5 seconds.
    Only 1 animal in 10 born in the U.S. gets a good home that lasts a lifetime.

Young Pup

I agree a healthy dog with a good temperment is first, I don't really care about color so much. I am partial to the bigger sized ones though. Finding a reputable breeder that can produce healthy, mentally sound larger dogs is what I am after. Hopefully I can get some help in this area.

Originally (way back when) Bostons were larger in size but we (humans) breed them to be smaller companions. Yes AKC's standard is: Weight is divided by classes as follows: Under 15 pounds; 15 pounds and under 20 pounds; 20 pounds and not to exceed 25 pounds! http://www.akc.org/breeds/boston_terrier/
    Boxers are a great larger version and look quite similar!!!

Truman will be bigger at 20lbs or so; breed standard is no bigger than 25, but I'm with the others--health is a big deal. Though you want a breeder who is thinking of breed standards when trying to improve the breed, KWIM? You can search for the breeder--it's Brooks Burnt Ridge Boston Terriers in WA state. She loves Bostons and is fanatical about breeding healthy, socialized Bostons! And one of her boys is 21lbs, the girls 18-20. The other boy is smaller at 16lbs.

No matter the size, Bostons are amazing!!
    Alicia and ilovemyboston like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast