Skin Problems Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skin Problems

Young Pup

UnhappySkin Problems

I have a 9 yr old male Boston, he has had skin problems from day one. Well it didnt seem like he did when he was a pup. Probably from 1yr until now and i think the older he gets it is getting worse. i need some home remedies, to help my poor guy out, so he is not soo miserable. and we arent spending 100 of dollars in vet bills. We currently are feeding him taste of the wild the yellow bag i forgot the name. and we mix Dinovite in with it. and this week i just started adding coconut oil too thinking it may help. He is so uncomfortable right now that he army crawls every little bit and grins his butt in the rocks and moans while he does it. HELP A POOR GUY OUT. He will be 10 November 10th.

Hello! Do you have picture of your doggy?

How long this happen? Did you change his food? What kind of coconut oil you use for your baby?

I use virgin coconut oil for my kids and the effect was great for them and they all have a healthy coating and shiny, sounds your dog has an allergic reaction to the food that you prepared for him. This high quality dog food for dogs with allergies has a lot of information that can help your dog skin allergies. Hope it works for him because I try this before until now and it works for them. Keep us updated hope he recover faster, you are in my thoughts.

All-American Dog

Have you tested him for worms?

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

All-American Dog

I also would look into food allergies. Additionally, are you putting chemicals on your lawn?

K+P

Hi there My Girl has problems also, She's only 11 months at the moment but she has developed allergies I've changed her food stopped using soap powder in her bedding and the cleaning products is dog friendly. But still they persist We started Showing her before this got to the point where we've stopped showing ! I wish there was a cure.

Young Pup

Unfortunately, after spending a year trying new foods and more natural remedies...twice weekly medicated baths, we succumbed to getting our Boston on Atopica, which was a god-send for him. If you've already switched your pup to grain free food, tried the fish oils and medicated bath route...I'd try the medical route. Our Boston had some relief from the grain free foods and over the counter Zyrtec (our Vets recommendation)...but in the wintertime, he was still scratching to baldness.

Yes, the Atopica cost a bit...but after we got his dosage right our vet sent the prescription to a compounding pharmacy where for about $100 we get a 3 month supply of his meds. I wouldn't rule it out entirely if the poor pup is scratching constantly.

All-American Dog

Have you tried Malaseb Medicated Shampoo? I shop online via Chewy.com and they have it there. Perhaps you can read the customer reviews which address its effectiveness with skin/allergy/itching issues. Also compare prices on Amazon. I use Douxo Chlorhexidine + Climbazole shampoo for yeast smell and itching. I also feed my dog Origen Six Fish as this is grain free and contains no chicken, which gave him dark pink skin. One more thought, if you are investigating the food allergy route, look at the extensive content and nutrition reviews available on dogfoodadvisor.com. Besides the dog food reviews, consumers add their thoughts in a section at the very bottom of the particular review. Just keep scrolling down. Please let us know what you are doing and if you have had any success.

K+Pilot

DefaultThank You

Thanks for your suggestions i will try and get the products you have said, i will let you know thanks Mark...

All-American Dog

I hope all is well now,

Young Pup

My Obadiah got a mean case of 'mange'....found GOODWINOL ointment online. It cleared his skin up....he has a very low tolerance to a lot of things...tea tree oil, Science Diet Dog food(gave him bloody stool), so keep him on food with fish, salmon, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, carrots...very little 'people food'..he does eat fresh fruit...apples, bananas, peaches, seedless grapes-they don't seem to bother him.

+ Reply to Thread