Puppy dragging butt on the ground or carpet after poopin - Is that normal? - Page 2 Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy dragging butt on the ground or carpet after poopin - Is that normal?

Some dogs just like rubbing their butts on the carpet Click here to enlarge

i suppose if we couldnt reach we would too, LOL!

Unhappy

That would be Funny!! I'm picturing a full grown human, legs sprawled out, arms in front butt on the floor having a Go at it!! Funny lol, very Funny!! Not a pretty site though!!

On a more serious note, I've seen so many dogs do this, I just thought well their butt itches!! I had never had a dog that did it just saw friends dogs doing it ya know, so I thought it was a normal thing!!

Until one day about 4 years ago, my Chi, Harley did it!! I only saw him do it once, believe me when I say this, he was a constant companion, never leaves my feet, or hands!! We are attatched at the hip!!

So two days later, Harley had stuffed his self behind the couch and would not come out!! Not like him at all, I knew something was wrong, I pulled him out as he would not come out on his own. Anyhow, he had blood all over his backside!! Scariest thing you ever saw. So it was a weekend, had to call the Emergency vet clinic, took him in, they told me that his butt exploded, in laymens terms!! What happened to him is this, he can not lick his butt, he cannot reach it to suppress his own anal glands. So they ended up abcessing, then they exploded, it was a total inside job, not visible from the outside till they exploded. VERY VERY painful for lil Harley!! Click here to enlargeThey said he will need to get it manually done, every couple months. Anyway it was so bad, they had to sew part of his butt back together. He still has a scar!! Poor boy. It cost me in total, with follow up the next day at my usual vet to check on his sutures, $400, not conting cost of having this manually done a few times. Had I known that this was a possibly dangerous thing, I could have saved Harley a lot of pain, and me a lot of $$!!

So Harley is fine now!! Sorry such a long post wanted to share Harley's story!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Dogs don't enjoy cling-on's, just like I dont.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, send me to where the dogs are. "

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kryptonite Click here to enlarge
    Dogs don't enjoy cling-on's, just like I dont.

LOL ewwww

sue

When I had my Rottweiler I woke up one morning to find blood all over the kitchen floor!! Her anal gland had burst and she needed surgery, too. I had never even heard of anal glands and the need to empty them. Grosssssssssss.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sue Click here to enlarge
    When I had my Rottweiler I woke up one morning to find blood all over the kitchen floor!! Her anal gland had burst and she needed surgery, too. I had never even heard of anal glands and the need to empty them. Grosssssssssss.

What are anal glands and why do they have to be emptied so much? Is it something that gets infected often? I have never heard of this, i grew up with Boxers and they never experienced this?

sue

They must be some glands near the "exit" door! I have had other dogs and never heard of them either until the Rottweiler had a problem. We never had them drained on our other dogs and had no problem. I am not sure what to do now with little Emma. I wonder if manually emptying them just leads to problems?? Opinions????

A lot of it has to do with their poops usually. If their firm enough to empty themselves there shouldnt be a problem. I've never had a dog that didnt do it themselves. Usually a vet or groomer will empty them if they need it, obvious signs are the butt scooting, a nasty fishy smell around their hind end, or they can leak a little. If they need done more often, your vet will show you how to do it yourself.
    Heres some good info here. It has instructions on how to do it yourself, but I would suggest having a vet show you how so you can really see what to do.

What the vet told me, is that the anal gland problem, usually happens to the dog who cannot rech the bungwhole to lick and fix the problem his self. I don't think Jada will have the problem, as Once in a while she licks the bum, eww!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast