Puppy dragging butt on the ground or carpet after poopin - Is that normal? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy dragging butt on the ground or carpet after poopin - Is that normal?

Default Puppy dragging butt on the ground or carpet after poopin - Is that normal?

The first night was chaotic with having to watch time and they still managed to poop and pee inside the house. Yesterday was their second day and I think I have them figured out. As soon as they wake up after naps, I take the crate out and then open the door. They handle their business and then play around outside. (I believe I am on the right track of housebreaking them).

I have 2 puppies, both are 8 weeks old (brothers). I feel like one struggles with pooping. Either before or after, he does this little dragging butt move on the ground. Looks like its sitting down but draggs its butt. So please let me know if that is normal behavior. I've seen the other one do it as well but not as much. I just want to confirm things are alright. THey are going for their first visit to Banfield today, I guess I'll ask the vet as well.

not something that is serious! this is pretty common in dogs. it's probably one of the following things. the first is worms. the anus itches as the worm move behind it. this can cause the pup to slide with it's butt on the carpet. or it could be that his anal glands are clogged. this causes the same symptoms. for the first you need a good worm tablet and for the other you need the vet to pinch the contents of the glands so that they are empty. this could be a reaccuring little problem and the vets may teach you how to empty them if it reoccurs!Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

emptying the old anal glands ... what a fun job that is. Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

when fausje had his pre meds for his operation he layed on my lap and emptied his analglands on my lap and handsClick here to enlarge the smell was awful and after 5 times washing of my hands the smell was still there!!Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Well the weird thing is that both of them are doing it. Got their glands emptied by Vet on monday and then again wednesday. Seems to still be doing it. I hope it doesn't happen all the time.

Default sometimes...

their butts are not clean enough after pooping and maybe they need a little help. I sometimes wipe Bo's butt with a baby wipe after he poops if I see it didn't all drop off. He doesn't have a tail to pinch the poop off so it sometimes sticks. I know sounds gross but the things we do for the love of our dogs. Click here to enlarge Bo doesn't have worms and his anal glands are fine. I notice occasionally he scoots his bum but not often.

Ok, I routinely empty my Boston's anal glands. The vets out here charge $30 to do it, so I learned how to myself. My older dog had such problems with infections in her anal glands, that we were almost going to have them surgically removed. The thing that stopped the problem was to add fiber to her food. It has to be unflavored fiber powder. We sprinkle about a 1/2 teaspoon onto her food at night. It works wonders!

My Patterdale does it a lot. If it is constant the vet told me it could be an infected gland.

Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

We called it "butt scooting" when our Rotties did it. With them it was time to empty the glands.

When we got our first Boston, Rusty, he did it a couple times but after de-worming he hasn't done it since.

And it could just be a cling-on and they are trying to wipe it off.

Yeah butt scooting definatly needs to be taken care of and not left untreated!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast