cold tolerance? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cold tolerance?

Default cold tolerance?

At what temperature (in general) does your BT start to not like the cold?? In warm weather mine could easily walk for 2 miles, but lower than the mid 40's he barely goes 100 feet even with a light shirt on! Even back in the house at 65 he seems to shiver a little.... come on, seriously?? We have thick jackets for when it's going to be in the 20's with a foot of snow, I'm not looking forward to that!

Question for you, boss: What are YOU wearing when the temp drops below 45? I certainly need more than a light shirt. BTs have very little hair and most have very little fat, so they are sensitive to the temp. When our temp drops, Opie runs out and does his business quickly and then likes to crawl under the covers,

Young Pup

Yeah I would assume they would be quite sensitive with thier size and length of fur.Even my APBT mix gets cold and needs a jacket, and his fur is much thicker/longer than a BTs.

American Gentleman

Tank and Georgie get t-shirts when it's in the mid 60's, they get sweaters or jackets anything lower than 60 degrees.
    This breed is very sensitive to temperature extremes, both cold and hot. They are not able to regulate their body temps the same as other dogs.

I don't go outside without a thick coat when it's in the 40-50's I wouldn't expect my dog to tolerate it either. The dog doesn't have anything different than I do that would make them able to tolerate those temps better than I can.

Cookie was very sensitive to cold when I first got her at 3 months of age. She'd never been outdoors, and we had a dusting of snow on the ground at the time. She just cried and shivered, so I gave up on training her to go out until the warm weather arrived; she just used pee pads until spring. Now she seems to be more used to the weather, but is beginning to shiver during the upper 40's-lower 50's days. She has a sweatshirt and several jackets in anticipation of the colder weather. I also got her a set of boots, fleece lined with velcro fasteners, because her feet always seem cold, but I don't know whether she'll wear them or if they'll stay on outside (I'm kinda keeping them as a Christmas present ). Anybody have any experience with boots and Bostons?
    "Who knew that dog saliva can mend a broken heart?"
    - Jennifer Neal

+ Reply to Thread