Best food brand to reduce gas Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Best food brand to reduce gas

Young Pup

Question Best food brand to reduce gas

Hello everyone. We recently were blessed with a 1 yr old BT named Olivia. Trying to find her some food to reduce her gas problem. Tried Innova but she does not like it. She loves Royal Canin but gas is terrible. Any suggestions ?

Even with the best diets, BT's will have gas.That said, stick to one that is closest to what a dog should eat--meat, organs and bone. Grains are not a natural part of a dogs diet, so its ideal to avoid them. Brands I like that my dogs have done well on are Great Life, Ziwipeak, and Acana along with raw--mine like buffalo, one can eat beef, rabbit.

Keep in mind--when you are switching from something like Royal Canin, you will have a time of detox that will include wicked gas for about a week or two. You can help reduce the effects by adding powdered probiotics and enzymes to the food during the switch. An easy way is using raw goats milk--just discovered this stuff from Answers. Good dog food stores have it in a freezer with the raw stuff.
    zomo and Heather78 like this.
    Click here to enlarge

I will most likely be shunned for this!! Lilu will ONLY eat purina puppy food with the lamb chunks in it. We have tried almost 20 different foods but this is the only food she will eat and since she started eating it her gas is almost nil.
    kaykraszewski likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Ofcourse all flat faced dogs are gassy becauase they inhale alot of air.. but I feed Bella Blue Buffalo small breed adult (she likes the small kibble) and also she likes the chunky stews and I have gone through a few kinds but now I get her the Blue stews and also Wellness stews and she has very little gas. The ingridients are pretty good and she is a picky eater and she likes a few flavors from each brand Click here to enlarge They all have diffrent meats w/ veggies in a gravy.
    Miley and Heather78 like this.
    -Sonja (Bella's mom)

Click here to enlarge

I've heard a spoon full a day of plain sugar free yougart helps with gas. But we don't have much of a problem with it and we feed pedigree wholesome chicken.
    Heather78 likes this.
    Boston Love

A short vigorous run around the block will also help, but the green house gasses she puts off while running may contribute to rising sea levels. BT's get great gas mileage!
    ****MyDadSays “We’re banned from the dog park. Well, I guess it’s okay to hump, and it’s okay to bark, but both at the same time freaks people out."

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sweetmugsy Click here to enlarge
    I will most likely be shunned for this!! Lilu will ONLY eat purina puppy food with the lamb chunks in it. We have tried almost 20 different foods but this is the only food she will eat and since she started eating it her gas is almost nil.
    Never Click here to enlarge You make the choices you need to. I will say, however, that your pup is probably loving the added flavors and salt they put in the food to make it palatable (they add a lot--dogs can detect every ingredient in a food and they have to cover animal digest and other offal). I liken it to how i was as a kid. I only ate Hamburger Helper, Kraft Mac N'Cheese and pizza. Then as my taste buds grew and I tried new things, I had a MUCH healthier diet. And there's no hard and fast rule that you MUST feed kibble. Why not try some canned foods and some home cooked food? I'm sure given the choice, your dog would go for a bowl of warm chicken, rice and kale from your oven over a bowl of kibble, and it'd be far more nutritious than anything Purina has to offer Click here to enlarge And cheaper. Just keep an open mind and add stuff to the kibble to develop her taste buds. Purina seems to be cleaning up their act, at least in the Pro Plan line (still has menadione, though). Anything lower than that is still full of things that are banned in human foods because they are carcinogens. I'm sure you already know Click here to enlarge

Evan's Family--it's the same with Pedigree. It has a nice name, but contains salt (never should have salt in the food), and carcinogenic colors and menadione (vitamin K). The only reason I am so passionate is that I had a dog die from cancer and it broke my heart. Best to find foods that won't help things along.
    Last edited by Trumansmom; 10-16-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Kel

IMG_0843.jpg

Roscoe is 11 weeks old today. To me he looks to be pretty slim, he's been de-wormed twice since birth so I'm fairly certain we can rule out worms. When it comes to dog food, I'm having a rough time getting him to eat his Blue Buffalo puppy food without adding something to it. He simply will NOT eat dry dog food. The problem is, the wet dog food I've been adding seems to give him unbearable gas. Of course, it is the Turkey Day Blue Buffalo stuff, so perhaps that's the problem (after all, I know what turkey does to certain humans who shall remain nameless). I've tried adding plain yogurt to his food, and that worked for a while but he seems to be sick of it. He loved my homemade turkey soup (again with the gas), and he likes gravy on his food. I don't like giving him these things though, it doesn't seem healthy. Is there anything I can do to make him more enthusiastic for his dry food? A friend of mine mentioned Omega Sauce as being good for his coat and they seem to like the taste (she has 2 female Boston's), does anyone have any experience with this stuff? Should I start making his food at home myself?

Why not try another protein? And you can do all sorts of things--you can feed a dry food and mix in a home-made 'gravy' of a meat stew. I did that for a while. You can mix canned with dry, really the sky is the limit. The trick is to think about your dog's nutrition the same way you do yours. You get the nutrients you need over the week rather than every single one every day.

If you cook for your dog, remember to not add salt, garlic or onions. If you use broth, go for low sodium, or make your own by boiling down bones for a day or two.
    Click here to enlarge

American Gentleman

Kel....look at Wellness Brand 95% canned varieties...they are just meat with nothing else added, make great toppers to wet food. I would add a tablespoon on each meal, put the rest in the fridge and 1 can would last about a week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast