Is the puppy underweight? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the puppy underweight?

Young Pup

QuestionIs the puppy underweight?

Hi, I'm new here.

I babysit a Boston Terrier, 3 months old. He has gotten skinny recently. I can see ribs, all of them when he turns. Also I feel ribs with no padding. There is loose skin like they have but no real fat that I can tell. Lately he keeps stopping on walks to sniff for anything edible including poop. He will even dig in grass to try to find something he smells. He has always been a "foodie," most dogs are, but this is more than I was used to seeing and is interrupting walking.

I don't feed him, the owner does. What should I tell her? I realize there is a danger for smaller dogs to get too fat, but he does seem too skinny.

Sounds like he have some health issue, do you ask this to the owner of that poor dog?

Young Pup

Thanks Barbara. The owner went on vacation and I was able to assess the problem better while I took care of him for a few days. He is very active and the owner only feeds him once a day, but he can't eat that much at one time. I think twice a day would be a better feeding schedule for him. Thanks for your response.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

All-American Dog

Are his stools solid? No chance of worms? I would suggest calling her vet ( I hope she left the number), and asking how many times per day he should be fed. I think I was feeding my pup three times per day at that age. The next questiin is WHAT is she feeding him? A quality food, I hope. Look on the bag for feeding amounts. You have your hands full there. There is zero chance a three month old will be getting overweight. Use your best judgement. LIDuck and Pilot

+ Reply to Thread