Pulled a tick off my dog.. what if I didn't get all of it? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pulled a tick off my dog.. what if I didn't get all of it?

Default Pulled a tick off my dog.. what if I didn't get all of it?

Took Fedor for his morning walk today and when we got back in, I noticed this brown thing in the middle of the back of his neck. It was brown and about the size of a drop of water.. Maybe about half a fingernail. I first picked at it a little with my bare hands and it didn't just come off and I got a little disgusted (not a huge fan of bugs!) so I took a paper towel and pulled it off. It got squished in the process and there was blood on the paper towel. I took a photo of its remains. I guess it's a tick... Now I'm wondering whether I might have done the wrong thing in my rush to get that nasty bugger off my dog. I took another look at the remains of the tick and there I can't discern a clear head on it.. a little protruding thing at the neck, but I'm not sure if that's all of it. I can't find anything on Fedor anymore though, I can't even locate the spot where the tick was despite trying to part his hair around there.

Should I just keep an eye on that area of his coat and skin, or is there something else I should do?

It's hard for me to tell - but it looks like the head is attached. Next time I would remove it with tweezers, it's easier to get them off with them. I've read about all kinds of horrible and nasty things happening if you don't pull all the tick off of a dog, or yourself.. but I've pulled ticks off my dogs and myself with tweezers, and never had any problems afterward. I would just keep an eye on the area, and watch for any inflammation, or other signs that something may be wrong. I had found some ticks on my dogs when we were traveling, but thankfully there aren't many around where I live and haven't found any in quite a few years.. thank goodness cuz they really gross me out!
    Trish & the gang
    Louie, Kirby, Ellie, & Peanut

Thanks Trish. I hope the small darker bit there close to my finger is the tick's head. The tick couldn't have been there very long since it was in such an obvious place, brown against white hair and fairly large at least in its engorged state. So I guess the short period of exposure means ehrlichiosis is not a concern, and since this is larger than a deer tick, Lyme's disease is unlikely as well (not to mention the fact that incidence of Lyme's is very low here in Thailand).

I will give him a comprehensive check daily from now on, and if I find any more, I will use tweezers and/or rubber gloves and/or the spinning method rather than pulling it straight out while squishing it like I did now. He's roamed the lawns around my place for over 4 months now and this is the first tick he's had, so hopefully it won't be a frequent thing. If it does become frequent, I may have to consider Frontline etc. but I'd rather not put pesticide on him on a regular basis.

I feel the same way about flea/tick preventatives.. I don't like them, and don't use them because it's been 2 years since I found a tick on any of my dogs, and we don't have a problem with fleas. If we did - and I know some areas are very heavily infested with fleas and ticks, then I wouldn't think twice about it, but I just think it's unnecessary to put chemicals on them monthly if there doesn't seem to be a real threat.

I'm sure Fedor will be just fine and keeping my fingers crossed that this was a one and only tick finding for you guys!
    Trish & the gang
    Louie, Kirby, Ellie, & Peanut

+ Reply to Thread