MIssing fur? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MIssing fur?

All-American Dog BostonBellaButton's Avatar

Default MIssing fur?

We have a fur problem and I don't really understand why. Bella has a missing patch that is fairly small on her leg and we figured she just got caught on her crate or something on the way out. It's been like that for about a month and the vet looked at it soon after we notice it and said it wasn't red or anything so not to worry. A week or two ago I noticed that on her lower lower belly near her private areas she has some brownish, redish, orangish almost rust colored spots and when you pinch the hair there it comes out fairly easily. Then I just noticed on her shoulder there was a very very very small patch of missing hair and I looked closely and kind of think I see that rustish color there too and when I do the pinch thing the fur comes out very easily there too. What is this? She eats like one of the best foods (Instinct) she has been on the chicken formula for the past month or so so what is the deal? I don't get it. Her skin is a little dry at times but nothing excessive, she's a Boston it's pretty normal, nothing to warrant a full blown skin issue until I noticed this. Any ideas? Any help would be great. Thanks!

American Gentleman

Does it show up in pics?...may help to figure it out.

But so far I don't have any ideas for you.

Here they are. I don't know how well they came out because I took them with my iPhone and not my nice camera, the upload usb cord is kind of missing. The picture of her leg is the spot that the vet saw about a month ago and said not to worry about it because it wasn't red or irritated. The picture near her private area is redish orangish rustish colored and if you pinch any hair in that area it comes out pretty easily. The little spot is on her shoulder and I just noticed yesterday. It seems like it might have some of that same rustish color under it as well and the hair comes out fairly easily if you pinch it here as well. The hair doesn't really come out on the leg spot and there is no color underneath just normal skin. It just seems so weird. The only thing I can think of is that she is now on Instinct and she used to be on Natura products. The Instinct chicken is 42% protein and also has manhaden fish meal. The Natura foods are only like 27% protein and do not have the fish meal. She has eaten the wet food of Instinct before we put her on the dry but the formula is different. Also, the other Instinct formulas are only 35% protein so maybe if that's the problem they would be better. They also have other types of fish not the manhaden fish meal. I don't see why this would cause this problem it's just the only thing I can think of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you use spray on conditioner? I use it on Mocha all the time because the air here is so damn dry and it's really great! (unless she's got a skin problem that's more major, then I have no idea!)

I don't know if you saw my post from a few months ago but Uma's got 2 big bald patches on her sides. We changed her food, did many tests at the vet and nothing. The hair started to grow back and then it'll go away again. I came to the conclusion that if it doesn't bother her then it's not a big deal.

The rust part I would just wash her more often in that area. Uma gets that on her belly sometimes but it's not irritated or anything so again it's not a big deal.

We're starting to fear/think it might be ringworm. Yuck!

Well the vet did the light test and said it's negative but that's only 50% effective but we used the anti-fungal spray for a few days anyways just to see. We stopped for a while because it wasn't seeming to be working but might try again. It seems as though the spot on her knee has gotten bigger and she has gained another or two more smaller spots. The only thing that has really change is that she has been using a flea and tick spray that is natural for the past few months that has citronella, lavender, and a few other things in it. It is called like outdoor freshen up spray or something. I think it's by pet pals, I forget because I don't have it with me right now. Also, we've switched from Innova and California Naturals to Instinct. But she's eating chicken before and that's what she's been on. Any ideas? Please help. It's a little concerning and I'm trying to avoid a million tests at the vet as the last visit was almost ninety bucks and didn't accomplish much. Thanks for the help!

American Gentleman

Aww poor Bella, I hope you figure it out soon. I don't have any ideas what could be the problem.

We had a similar problem with Vegas about a year or so ago. I didn't notice any discoloration in his skin, but he had the same looking hairless spot on his leg. At 1st I thought he had just scraped it too, but it seemed like more hair was coming out b/c the bald patch was getting larger. So I took him to the vet and the vet told me that B.T.'s are prone to a kind of skin mite that lives under the skin. It's not contagious. He said some vets believe that all dogs have the mite, but it's more prevalent in B.T.'s, and it doesn't seem to bother other dogs. He did a skin graph to test for it and it came back positive. I can't remember the name of the mite, but he gave us a cream to put on the spot and it cleared up in days. He said the cream basically suffocates the mite.
    Vegas was also scratching at the spot, does your B.T. scratch at it? He wasn't scratching at it too much more than normal though.

Also I noticed another spot near his ears recently and when I took him in (it was a different vet) she seemed to think this new spot was allergies. She said alot of dogs have them this time of season and will eventually just go away. So it could possibly be that too...... although if the patches are getting larger I wouldn't think it would be allergies.
    But just thought I'd share. Good luck!
    "Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car,
    in case the need should arise for them to bark violently
    at nothing right in your ear." - Dave Barry

She's not really scratching much other than the normal. I really hope it's just an allergy to something I don't want it to be something more serious. I think we're going to eliminate the citronella based flea spray and have to find something else and then we'll continue her ringworm spray just in case for like a week. The only weird thing is that the hair at the points of missing fur comes out pretty easily except for the spot on the knee. My vet just said that if there's any sort of scabbing or trauma under the skin the fur will come out but that wasn't very helpful. We're still looking for a new vet because we just moved back to Connecticut and the one my parents go to is great but about a half an hour away. It seems to far. Fine for yearly stuff but if something is wrong quickly, that's a long drive to get her seen. As for those mites, what if it is that and it goes untreated? Is she okay to wait with them until we find a vet or if the vet doesn't know what it is? It seems strange that Vegas and Bella both have had a similar problem. If it is the mites as well, what is up with these weirdos in Kansas where they came from? Haha. The only thing that had us leaning towards ringworm is that my boyfriend got it as well and we don't know anyone else with it so we figured Bella got it from another dog and gave it to my boyfriend too. The only thing is it doesn't look much like ringworm anymore but I know it presents itself differently in dogs too so who knows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast