Advice on puppy with blood in stool Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice on puppy with blood in stool

Default Advice on puppy with blood in stool

Cliffnotes:Puppy dewormed, but no worms in poop. Blood drops after pooping. Pups still happy, but I'm concerned.

Okay, so I got my puppy Eleanor at 10 weeks old, and the breeder hadnt had her dewormed. She has had her first set of shots, but no deworming, which I thought was strange. Two nights after I got her, after she pooped, I noticed some blood drops on my carpet. Just two or three, but they had me worried. She was still playful and happy, so I didnt rush her to vet or anything. I contacted the breeder, who said the rest of the pups were doing fine, and to keep her updated. Big help there. So, Tuesday morning I had her dewormed with Strongid, it's now Friday, and she hasnt pooped any worms, but she still has the blood drops about every time she poops. She threw up once, that was on Wednesday, the day after the deworming, but that was the only time. She still seems happy and playful, and she's not underweight, and she doesnt have diarrhea, so I don't know what's going on with her. Monday is my next day off, so I think I'll take her to the vet then, and get her checked for Coccidia, and Parvo, and worms. In the meantime I have my little brother staying at my house to keep an eye on her, with instructions to call my girlfriend to rush her to the vet if she starts vomiting or if her poop turns to diarrhea.

Any advice? And what about the deworming? 3 days later and still no worms?

I don't think you need to see worms in the poop--thats if they are infested with round worms or tape worms. Many times the parasites are not seen with the naked eye. Not sure about the blood--I was thinking it may be a girl thing. Maybe not from her stool at all but rather her vagina?

My rule of thumb is that if they are happy, eating, holding food down, etc. that I don't worry. It's when they begin to get lethargic and not interested in food or play that I get a warning flag. By all means, check her out with the vet (can't believe the 'breeder' said that!!! Mine would have been on the phone with me for an hour to help figure out what was wrong).

Also, if the blood is fresh-looking and just a little bit, it's often not a problem; could be from worms detaching and such. It's due to a small irritation in the colon or anus. It's when it looks like old blood that you begin to worry about internal bleeding.

It's definitely from her rectum.

American Gentleman

It is bright red or darker?
    Is it every time she poops?
    Have you recently changed her food?

I agree with Trumansmom, if she is acting fine then I wouldn't be overly concerned. Just have her checked at your next Vet visit. She should be going back in about a week or so for shots, right?

It's a darker red. And for a few days it was every time she pooped, but now it''s seemed to slow to every other time, or every third time, so I'm starting to feel a little better about it. I havent changed her food at all, I kept her on the same food she was eating when I got her, which is Eukanuba puppy. I want to change it to Orijen or Royal Canin, but not until this issue goes away. I'm still keeping an eye on her, and she'll be going to the vet on Monday for sure.

sue

it could be that her poop is a little too hard for her rectum and maybe tearing a bit.....maybe it is stretching now which is why the blood is less frequent. My rottweiler was bleeding badly from the rectum once and it turned out to be her anal gland. It did require surgery.

Update:
    I took her to the vet today. I had them do a parvo test just to be sure, and that was negative. They did a fecl parasite check, and only came back with roundworm. So she got another dewormer, Drontal Plus this time. They didnt find anything else wrong with her, so hopefully everything will be okay from here on.

+ Reply to Thread