What to expect before and after being neutered? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to expect before and after being neutered?

Question What to expect before and after being neutered?

Hi guys! Tucker is getting neutered in about 3 weeks time. I have never been through this before so I kinda wanna know what I need to do to prepare him before surgery, and what to expect out of him after. How long will it take to heal? What will he be like when he comes out of surgery? Will his temperment change? Anything else you guys can warn me about ahead of time would be awesome! I am a worried puppy-mom! BTW Tucker is growing so fast. I will have to post some new pictures of my little guy soon Thanks!!!!

Neutering was a breeze for Opie. Brought him home the same day. He showed no signs of pain. We gave him a pain pill that first night, but only because we wanted him to settle down and sleep. Nothing about his personality changed either.

When our pit bull was neutered, he came home groggy and experienced some swelling. Apparently swelling is not uncommon. It's been a long time so I don't remember for sure, but seems like he was given an antibiotic for that.

I'm sure Tucker will do just fine, I was so worried when I had Bella spayed I know how you fell. I have never had a male so I dont know much about neutering.. but my best advice is dont leave him over night. Take him early and then pick him up in the evening so he can sleep at home.
    -Sonja (Bella's mom)

In my experience, neutering is so much easier than getting a female spayed, likely because it's less invasive. My girl still healed well but with the two males I've had neutered, they acted like nothing happened by the very next day. The hardest part was keeping them calm for a few days! Luckily, that's what kongs are for
    Sarah - Proud mommy to Bentley & Penelope <3

Sully had no problems with his neuter. The first thing he did when he saw me was to start jumping. The vet proceeded to tell me to keep him as calm as possible for a few days(yeah, right). He was sent home with a flotation device/cone thing that he destroyed on the drive home.

Alex

I am glad for males it doesn't seem to be as big a deal. Tucker is such a hyper pup. I am hoping I can keep him calm after-wards! Are there stitches?

American Gentleman

Depends on the vet if they use stitches, staples or glue...usually the stitches are disolvable, so you don't have to go back for removal and I prefer that to staples. (if they use staples on boys...they do on girls)
    Tank had disolvable stitches with some glue on top, so he didn't need any follow up care. He got a couple pain pills for the day of the surgery and the following day. I dropped him off at 8am and picked him up at 1pm, which was earlier than expected but he was awake and aware so we took him home. He slept most of the rest of that day and I gave him the pain pill as directed by the Vet and the night was uneventful. The next day he was back to normal, crazy self wanting to run and jump so it was a bit hard to keep him quiet and calm. I didn't use a e-collar/cone cause someone was home with him all the time, but he never showed any interest in his 'area' anyway. The 2nd day he was crazy puppy, so we just started letting him do what he wanted, he wasn't on pain meds so he would know when he's done too much or was getting sore. I was told not to get the area wet for a week and to watch for redness, swelling and discharge, he healed up just fine even with running around and jumping. Healing time is roughly a week to week and a half. When you pick him up he'll probably be a little groggy and tired for the rest of the night. Tank's temperment didn't change at all.

I suggest that if you are going to use a cone/e-collar during healing to get him use to wearing it now so he doesn't freak out when you put it on after the surgery. I do pre-op blood work on my pups, but a lot of people don't, talk to your vet about it and if you choose to do it see if they do it the same day or if you would need to do it before.
    Not much else to do to prepare them, it's a pretty simple procedure. He'll do fine!

+ Reply to Thread