Blood after pooping Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blood after pooping

Young Pup

Default Blood after pooping

So I recently got a Boston Terrier puppy. He's been having some runny stools, but after he poops he'll strain to get more out resulting in blood drops. I took him to the vet to check his stool and there was no trace of worms. He gave me some Albon to give him. I've been slowly switching him to Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken and Brown rice. I'm wondering if this is the problem. I've been hearing they don't do well on BB and talked to some people who said BB gives a loose stool due to the high protein content and grain. He's been playing around and chasing my other dog around. He's been drinking plenty of water. Am I stressing him out? I pick him up when he's getting ready to poo, or to get him away from chewing on shoes and stuff.

American Gentleman

Albon is an antibiotic...it could help if he's actually suffering from a infection in his intestinal tract. I suggest adding a probiotic to his diet, it helps replenish the good bacteria in the intestines and helps fight off the bad ones. Yogurt is the common source of probiotics, but some dogs don't tolerate dairy well, so pill or powdered forms can be a better option.

Also, pups get stressed out which can cause some inflammation in the colon...the change in homes, the change in foods are both pretty big events for a pup.
    A lot of pups do very well on BB kibbles, what kibble was he eating before you got him?

All-American Dog

I have to say Foxy is spot on. About a month after I got my Edy she developed the same symptoms, so I took her to the vet and they ran some tests that revealed she had something I can not for the life of me remember the name right now, but was something where a naturally occuring bacteria goes overboard if they get stressed in some way. My vet gave me Albon 2X day for 10 days and a tube of probiotic paste she got daily for about 1 week or so. It all worked perfectly and no more worries. It started clearing up within 2 days of the first dose.

What is the color of the blood? Is it bright red or dark red? A bright red stool means there may be bleeding near the rectum and dark red means there may be bleeding in the upper digestive tract.
    "There is no such thing as an ugly Boston Terrier. There are some that are closer to perfection than others, that is all." - Frank Grover

+ Reply to Thread