Vomiting and diarrhea in two year old Boston Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vomiting and diarrhea in two year old Boston

Young Pup

Default Vomiting and diarrhea in two year old Boston

Two or three nights ago (can't remember), Geoffrey threw up about six times. Started out vomiting kibble, then it turned clear and mucous-y. I fed him lightly the next day and he was drinking and doing well. Same with yesterday. This morning I woke up to diarrhea all over my bedroom.

He didn't poop for a day or two so I'm wondering if that was the problem. He seems to be spunky and not lethargic at all. I called the vet wondering if it could be parvo because I didn't have him vaccinated as an adult last year. He was vaccinated as a puppy so they said parvo "isn't the first thing we would look at with him." She said to monitor him and if he gets worse then bring him in tomorrow.

We feed Evo like always so nothing's changed there. I can't remember him getting into anything either. I am really freaking out about parvo though because my husband had a dog with parvo and he said it was a couple thousand to get her straightened out. Knowing that they are overdue for their shots, I'm careful not to let my BTs around other dogs and watch them closely on the leash when they go to the bathroom.

He's crated right now and I'm at work-not sure what I'm going to come home to. He hasn't had anything to eat or drink today. I offered him water but he didn't seem interested.

Any ideas?

First, your dog most likely is immune to Parvo--puppy shots are often enough for lifetime coverage. You do not need to vaccinate yearly and it's actually better not to as over vaccination can cause all kinds of immune problems and cancer. Plus your dog would be a LOT sicker. Could be he ate something in the yard that made his tummy go crazy.

Try feeding a bland diet--lean ground beef cooked with some VERY cooked (mushy) rice, millet or barley to give him a break. You can also use chicken or any other meat. Add some raw apple cider vinegar to calm his tummy--I put it in the drinking water, about a capful. Jango will get the pukes if he eats something he's allergic to--when I tried him on lamb, it took a few days for his system to calm down again. And sometimes they will get the runs. It just sounds like he ate something his body didn't like. And it's entirely possible for a dog to develop an allergy to the food they always eat if you aren't changing proteins every bag.

HTH!

Young Pup

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm not sure if he got into anything or not. I always keep him on a leash when we go out but my husband lets him run around the yard. I fed him some leftover white rice I had in the fridge and then gave him a little Pedialyte just in case he was feeling dehydrated. He did have some explosive diarrhea in the yard when I went home at lunch. But no blood or anything in the stool.

I remember now the vomiting incident was on Tuesday night, and then he didn't poop for two days (until late last night). Maybe his guts were just feeling rotten after not pooping for so long and now his body is trying to get rid of whatever nasties were left in there. He is still spunky so we will see what happens.

Thanks so much for the advice about the vaccinations. I was kind of feeling like a bad pet owner by not taking them in last year but we had a wedding to pay for so money was a little tight. I am definitely making them appointments soon!

Annie

So Trumansmom, I have a couple of questions... You are saying to changed the Protein but not the brand? That is interesting, I would like to try that.

Also Vaccines, My Lilly had awfull reactions each time, they had to give her shots of Benydril each time. She would get a mass where the Vaccines were injected and be ing pain all night, limping, crying if you touched her. It was the worst thing for her and us to go thru. The first times was the worst, was not prepared for this at all, we were up with her till 5 am. She would not want to be touched, she would just fall asleep and then wake up screaming cause she touched herself somehow. She made it thru, and when I saw that Vet agian he told me not to cauddle her too much. Needless to say I didn't see that vet agian.

Anyways my real question is because of how they seem to affect her, how often should a Boston be vaccinated?

Thanks Lindsey

P.S. I hope Geoffery feels better! Poor Baby!!!

I change all sorts of things--proteins, brands, forms (raw, kibble, canned), you name it. Sometimes meal to meal, but more commonly weekly or each bag (I get small bags of food). My goal is to have 3-4 foods my dogs can eat and rotate regularly as one of mine develops allergies quickly.

You can get your dog a Titer test--it's a blood test that measures the antibodies present in the dog's blood stream and measures immunity that way. The only flaw with it is that is can give a false negative immunity because it doesn't measure mitochondrial immunity. But it's better than giving shots too often. There are also other things to consider--shots don't make every dog immune! There are genetic tests you can do to see if your dog reacts properly with an immune response or not, though I forget what they are. I won't be giving mine any shots any time soon, probably never again. Truman reacts too strongly, Peggy Sue is lifetime-immune to the most important things, and rabies is virtually non-existant in WA state. I'd re-evaluate if we lived in a different climate, though. Here is more reading for you regarding vaccines: http://thewholedog.org/id9.html#vaccines

Vaccination is a hot topic. Many vets still vaccinate yearly, which is very unnecessary. They do this to get patients in for a necessary yearly physical, plus this is where vets make a lot of money. I used to simply buy my vaccines at the local feed store for $36 for both dogs and give them myself! Those were my previous dogs, though.

American Gentleman

For some vaccine readings look up Dr Jean Dodds vaccine protocol.... It's included in the link Trumansmom posted ^^ and here is another with the simple chart http://www.dogs4dogs.com/puppy-shots.htm

Young Pup

Well here's an update on Geoffrey-I thought he was getting better last weekend, but got worse on Monday so I took him to the vet in the am. Vet took blood and said his liver enzymes were elevated which could be an infection. Sent us home with anti barfing meds and antibiotics. Husband gave anti-barfing pill and two minutes later Geoffrey barfed it up. Took him back to the vet for x rays. Vet said x rays showed he had a small liver but he said that could be because he is underweight right now. While they were doing x rays Geoff had a diarrhea explosion all over the table, so the vet took that opportunity to do a fecal smear and saw that clostridium was present in the stool. He gave us even more antibiotics plus injected Geoffrey with all kinds of fluids including an injection of cerenia to prevent barfing.

We took him home and he hasn't vomited since, but yesterday was his last dose of the cerenia. I started giving him SMALL amounts of dry food again mixed in with his hamburger, per the vet's directions. But this morning I noticed he was acting like he wasn't feeling well and I heard his stomach making all this noise. I hope he doesn't have an explosion or vomiting episode while I'm at work.

I wonder if there is something going on with the Evo food. I wonder if he could be allergic to something in it. Bridget is fine but the vet said he could have developed an allergy to it at any point. Should I switch to the meat version of Evo in case there's something wrong with the fish version? Should I switch brands altogether?

American Gentleman

When Tank was a puppy he reacted really badly to Evo canned and kibble, he had diarrhea for about a week but no vomitting. I switched brands and he was fine after that.
    I'd follow up with the liver issues though...Tank had elevated ALT levels when he was 6 months old, they couldn't determine why and we did a round of antibiotics and we did liver supplements for a few months and retested every couple months.

Young Pup

Thanks Kristin. No vomiting so far being off the cerenia. That is good news. I am starting to slowly incorporate kibble back into his diet. I am definitely planning on following up about the liver. I hope it's nothing serious.

Thanks again,

Annie

What worked wonders for our pup when she had a month long diarrhea, based on forum's suggestion I found, was canned pumpkin and oatmeal. I used to make oatmeal, mix it up with pumpkin and pup was just face down with no side effects. It had immediately stabilized her tummy. I recall Foxy (I think?) had recommended adding probiotics to that.

Here's the pumpkin we've been giving her:
    http://www.iherb.com/Farmer-s-Market...oz-425-g/32844

HTH.

PS Let me know if you're having problems finding this canned pumpkin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast