10 weeks old - how often should i feed him? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 weeks old - how often should i feed him?

Watson

Default 10 weeks old - how often should i feed him?

hello,

at 10 weeks, should i stick with 3 times a day? or go to 2 times a day?

Thank you

My vet told me 3-4 times a day. a quarter cup each time. Izzy seems to be doing well with schedule. She is like clockwork, 9, noon and 5 everyday.

Watson

Quarter cup? that's it? I've been feeding him 1 cup 3 times a day! haha, no wonder he poops so much.

One cup 3 times a day! Wow!! I usually end up giving her about 1/3 cup 3 times a day so she gets about 1 cup per day and she still poops like 4-5 times a day!!!!

We free feed Murphy and have since he was 9 weeks old with no problems at all. Makes life much easier if it works.

I put in about a 1/4 cup twice a day...if i see that she is hungry for more, I give it to her. But she eats a lot of training treats throughout the day too

Wow - 3 cups of food a day for a 10 week old puppy!? That's INSANE! I'm not even sure a 10 week old MASTIFF puppy would require that much food.. lol! I think 1 - 1 1/2 cups of food a day is a more accurate amount. I would feed him 1/4 - 1/2 cup of food 3 times a day until he is around 20 weeks.. and then cut it down to twice a day. I'd probably start out with 1/3 cup, 3 times a day for a week and take a look at his body condition, if he is too thin then up the amount to 1/2 cup, 3 times a day, if he is gaining too much weight, then reduce it to 1/4 cup 3 times a day. Puppies should be steadily gaining weight as they grow, but they should also not be rapidly gaining weight..
    Trish & the gang
    Louie, Kirby, Ellie, & Peanut

I guess I also should have asked what you are feeding him, that will make a big difference on the amount you are feeding him. If it is a poor quality food you will have to feed him more, if it is a higher quality food you are able to feed him less.
    Trish & the gang

Trish how much at 20 weeks? Still about 1 - 1 1/2 cups but twice a day instead of the 3 times?

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's mom View Post
    Trish how much at 20 weeks? Still about 1 - 1 1/2 cups but twice a day instead of the 3 times?
    I have always decreased feedings from 3 times a day to 2 times a day when they are between 20-24 weeks old (basically 5-6 months) and then only feed twice a day. Right now I free choice feed, so I don't monitor how much they are eating, and they all are at a great body condition so I don't worry about it. If any of mine were to become too heavy, I would go back to feeding them their individual, twice a day feedings.

The amount to feed really varies on the dog. A growing puppy is obviously going to require more food than an adult. It also depends on what the estimated size of your dog is going to be.. some Bostons only mature to be 10 lbs. where some get as big as 30+ lbs. so you have to take that into consideration as well. My 11 lb. 7 month old Boston only eats about 1/2 cup of food a day and also eats about 4 oz of canned food, I say "about" because I'm not sure exactly what she eats dry food wise, but I can guesstimate based on what I see her eat, and what I fed her as a puppy. She was always very small, though. The rest of my dogs are 25+ lbs. and eat about 1 - 1 1/2 cups of food a day and range in age from 16 months to 4 years of age.

If Izzy is doing well, and maintaining a good body condition at 1 cup of food per day, then that is what I would keep her on, unless you notice that she is becoming too thin, then increase her feeding amount by 1/4 cup, until you achieve the result you're looking for.. but when switching from 3 feedings to 2, you would just increase the amount at each feeding so if you are feeding her 1/3 cup, 3 times a day, then feed her 1/2 cup, twice a day. Hope that helps!
    Trish & the gang

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast