Will spaying a female puppy change her behavior like a male puppy? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will spaying a female puppy change her behavior like a male puppy?

Question Will spaying a female puppy change her behavior like a male puppy?

I mentioned in another post that Bella is due to be spayed in about 3 or 4 weeks. She is currently almost 5 months. I've heard alot that male puppies behavior changes after they're fixed and I wondered if anyone experienced this with a female puppy. Bella is sometimes aggressive, dominant and far from calm, also she has been known to hump her toy camel (which is funny and not as bad as the other behaviors I mentioned). I was hoping maybe she will be a little calmer and less agressive after she is spayed ( may be wishful thinking) haha

You probably won't be able to tell the difference!

We have a 4 yr old female westie. She was 2 when we got her and was spayed as a youngster. She had never humped anything until recently. I bought some new cushions and she wants to hump them. Doesn't hump the other cushions - just the new ones. Something about them gets her excited I guess.

My male BT humps a lot even though he is neutered. The only difference is that before the neuter he would have the big "E" and now he does not.

LOL I'm hoping it will calm her down a little when she gets spayed but it probably wont I guess. So far the only thing she ever humps is her camel I guess thats her man, thanks for your replies.

Red face

LOL Thanks for the replies. So far the only thing she evr humps is her camel, I had a boxer who was spayed and she still humped. I'm hoping when she is spayed she will get less agressive and a little calmer but I guess i shouldnt count on it

her humping prob has nothing to do with reproductive reasons esp if shes only 5 months old a lot of females hump to show dominance and spaying wont change if shes a dominant dog or not, dominant submissive personalities i heard come from a very early age. the pups who get suckle first tend for form dominant personalities and those that wait tend to form submissive personalities... my chloe was in a liter of 3 so there was always an open spot to suckle so she def has a dominant personality.

I have heard that spaying will reduce the drive to want to run away... i dont no about you but i dont have a fenced in yard so it nice to have them not interested in running away to find a mate

Lots of love from CHLoe

Smile

Thanks for the reply from Chole, we have a fenced in yard so I havent had to worry about her running off, but I bet you are right that she suckled first. My boxer Angel that passed was the runt and she was very passive. Bella is our first BT we had 2 boxers before. Any tips anyone has about bostons would be great we are new at this. So far shes doing great, she is almost 100% house broken she sleeps through the night often she is learning to sit and stay. Her biggest problem is nipping and chewing and she hates hearing no. She gets fixated on something and she is totally relentless! Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll let you know how she i when she is spayed

American Gentleman

My male dogs behavior didn't change at all when he got neutered, he didn't hump or mark before and still doesn't. He has always been high energy.

My female I got as an adult (1 1/2yrs) so she was already spayed, she humps my male when he has a chewy that she wants. She doesn't hump him at any other time or hump anything else. She is also high energy.

Neither of mine are dominate and neither are submissive, they are both well rounded I guess. Each does things that could be considered dominate or submissive, so I really can't tell. They both know I'm the boss so I guess that's what matters most!

Thanks for your reply Kristin. My Bella is definitley showing dominant behavior, we all are trying to let her know she is not the boss. She is not 5 months yet so she is still young and it will just take time and patience. She has been getting a little better and giving in quicker, and now she goes on time out when she does not stop bad behavior after saying no abourt 3 times. The time outs seem to help, I put her on the leash by the kitchen and make her wait about 2 min until she is calm and sits down. She is so stubborn and high energy she tires us all out! But she is worth it

American Gentleman

Are you familiar with NILF training, Nothing in Life is Free?
    It works really well for establishing pack leadership/alpha role and building the pups confidence.
    It's really easy to do and there is a lot of info available online.

Also a good book that is suggested a lot around these BT boards is Patricia McConnell's The Other End of the Leash, her other training books are good also. It's an easy read and very helpful in learning about dogs behaviors.

Good luck.

Kristin, I've heard a little bit about the NILF training.. it's basically making your puppy do something for you whenever you are doing something for them right? I try with Bella making her sit, stay, wait and come with her treats or her toys. It normlally works but she is still very young so she has her moments lol (she will be 5 months this sat. oct 23) any tips you have would be great this is my first BT Thanks
    -Sonja (Bella's mom)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast