Won't eat out of bowl Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Won't eat out of bowl

Default Won't eat out of bowl

Hi all, I am new to the forum and have just gotten my baby BT. He is 8 weeks old and his name is Bruiser.
    I am having a heck of a time getting him to eat out of a bowl. He wants to eat only if I pour the food from his bowl onto the floor....yeah seems very strange. He will also eat everything if I hand feed which I don't want to make a habit, but want him to eat. Please help.

American Gentleman

What kind of bowl are you using? Have you tried different material bowls? Some dogs are weird about eating from certain bowls, noises, reflections, etc.

Also...you have to make sure it's shallow and wide, with these dogs not having a long nose their eyes can hit the edges of the bowl and cause them to not want to eat from it.

Kristin, I am using a small plastic bowl for now since he's so small. His head fits in the bowl without any problem. I have found my boxers don't like the sound of metal bowls. I fed him in his crate this morning and that seemed to keep him more focused, but still wanted his food dumped out of the bowl? I guess I will look for another bowl.

Bella is weird w/ her bowl sometimes too, I have an elevated bowl stand w/ ceremic type bowls. Maybe they arent wide and shallow enough. Foxy any suggestions or links for good bolws? I prefer the ones in a stand w/ the food and water together, she will kick around a bowl if its not in one lol
    -Sonja (Bella's mom)

Great name by the way...my little girl is named Bruiser, lol, the vets always call her a "he". Anyways my Bruiser wouldnt eat out of her bowl either, I was getting worried until I took some pieces out and put them in my hand and she ate them right up. I placed them on the floor and she chowed down. After further investigation I found out that the metal bowl I had her food in scared her because as she ate it would move and make noises on the floor because it was so light. I switched her to a heavier pyrex glass dish that doesnt move and she happily chows down her food now.

thank you for all the tips and suggestions. Bruiser is doing a little better but now I notice he wants to eat out of all 3 bowls I have down. I have two other boxers and I leave their bowls down all day. Feeding is a nightmare around my house....lol. I guess it's a good thing I work from home. I really wish I could put bowls down and they would just all eat and be done. I love my 3 dogs.....heeheheehe and yes I have probably lost a few of my marbles!

American Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Lil Bella View Post
    Bella is weird w/ her bowl sometimes too, I have an elevated bowl stand w/ ceremic type bowls. Maybe they arent wide and shallow enough. Foxy any suggestions or links for good bolws? I prefer the ones in a stand w/ the food and water together, she will kick around a bowl if its not in one lol
    I use a plastic elevated feeder with stainless bowls, I got it locally. The bowls are about 6" diameter and maybe 2" deep.
    Tank has figured out how to get the bowls out of the feeder, he drops them on the floor and pushes them around when they are empty, I think he's telling me they are empty and he's hungry lol. I put food in both bowls since I have 2 dogs and we have a water fountain for them...spoiled a little .

FetchDog.com and DrFosterSmith.com are what come to mind for supplies, but I'm sure there are places with a better selection.
    Also, Overstock.com has some nice pet supplies and for low prices.

+ Reply to Thread