Puppy won't eat :( Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Puppy won't eat :(

Default Puppy won't eat :(

We just brought home our 8 week old Boston, Dave, yesterday. We are using the puppy chow the breeder gave us, and prepared it to her instructions, but he will not eat! He ate a few bits last night, but he will only mouth the kibble and spit it back out again! He's drinking ok, no other sickness and I've tried all the tricks I know, cheese, yoghurt, boiled rice (all of which she said he's had before and loved), even tried to feed him by hand, but still nothing

He's also very clingy, he will play by himself for all of a minute then try to scramble back onto my lap again. I've cordoned off our living room so he has a smaller place to "explore", but all he's interested in is finding the nearest lap to sit on. Surprisingly he slept well alone in his crate last night, but with him not eating, I'm pretty scared! I'm hoping he's just stressed from leaving his momma? Is this normal?

Hvae you tried boiling hot water to moisten the food. Put the hot water in the food and let it sit to absorb and cool down. My puppy didn't like kibble right away and for the first few days he was with us we moistened his food.

Also remember that he just went through a huge change. He could just be unsure and trying to get used to his new environment. WHen I brought my puppy home he was really clingy too because he was dealing with a lot of new things plus being away from his mom and littermates. It's good that he wants to be on your lap because that's a sign that he sees you as being safe. Give him time to settle in. Be patient.

What food did the breeder give you? If he doesn't eat today I might call the vet just to run it by them. But he will eat. He will get hungry enough and eat. Try moistening the food. That worked with my puppy. I tried feeding him hotdogs, cheese etc and he didnt want it either. I would say this is pretty normal. His life has been turned upside down. Everything he's known since he was born is gone. He will come around But if you are really nervous about him not eating just call your vet and ask them how long you should wait till you bring him in.

Congrats on rbinging Dave home!! you will have to post pictures once he is settled and eating!!

Thank you so much for the advise! I was freaking out yesterday! See our last puppy was a lab and we'd had the complete opposite problem- he ate through a wall and 3/4 through the floorboards! I did not know how to deal with one that DOESN'T eat everything in sight!

We barriered off his crate last night because I thought it was too big, and it's like he has woken up a completely different puppy- gone is my nervous wreck, I now have an adventurous little man instead! He was headfirst into his food this morning- I moistened it like you said ( it's purina puppy chow and purina one mixed together- it's the only brand my breeder trusts) with a bit of plain yoghurt. He hasn't eaten it all yet, but he's been a lot more excited about playing and exploring this morning so I'm still pleased, I'm sure he'll eat the rest now he's got all this energy! Thank you again!

Oh your welcome!! I'm so glad to hear that he's doing great today!! It's always nerve wracking when your puppy doesn't eat!! They are so small!

That's a good idea adding a barrier in the crate. Simon's crate is bigger but we have set up the barrier so that he only has enough room to lay day so he won't go to the washroom in it. If it's too big they will use one area as the bathroom and the other as the sleeping area haha.

Young Pup

Thank you, really interesting read.

When we had our Boston she had issues too at first. The breeder told us to go get some baby food like chicken flavor and put alittle cooked plain rice in it. That worked she loved it so much!! And then transition by mixing the kibble in.

Dave is eating really well now, not up to what he's supposed too, but only a few mouthfuls short. He went off the hot water stuff, and didn't like the plain yoghurt, so he just gets some wet food mixed in the kibble, and let the gravy soak in a bit before giving it to him. Also my vet suggested giving him several smaller meals a day for a while instead of 3 big ones- keeps their blood sugar up, because he didn't have much energy before. Just though I'd update in case someone else was having trouble; hopefully with all these tricks ^^ something should work!

+ Reply to Thread