Having problems housebreaking 9 month old Boston terrier Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Having problems housebreaking 9 month old Boston terrier

Young Pup

DefaultHaving problems housebreaking 9 month old Boston terrier

Hi everyone, i'm new hereClick here to enlarge I am having problems housebreaking my 9 month old boston terrier. Last month I put my 16 year old Peke, Ollie to sleep. A gal i do daycare for asked me if i would like her 8 month old boston. She told me that he had been crated the majority of the time and she just didnt like him. Truthfully i wasnt ready for another dog but i felt bad for him and the situation. Max is very very sweet. He has no health problems, is energetic, gets along great with my other small dog Sophie. My 6 year old loves him and Max adores him. Hes wonderful except for the housebreaking problem. He is neutered. She crated him all the time. She worked full time and was gone a lot. She would come home and he would have peed and pooped in the kennel. Im guessing because she left him alone for so long. Ive kenneled him only a few times when he first came, for short periods of time, less than 30 minutes. When i came home each time he had pottied in the kennel. Im thinking it has become a habit for him? My other dog is totally housebroken. If i leave the door open Max always goes out. If the door is closed he will go to the door if im home. If i shut the door and run to the store, maybe 30 minutes, he always potties in the house. My son went to the bathroom today and shut his bedroom door with Max in there, maybe 2 minutes. Max peed on the floor. I've housebroken small dogs before, i know it can be difficult but honestly im very consistent and i've never really had a problem. I'm sort of at a loss about what to do. I cant kennel him because he potties in the kennel, i try not to leave alone but have to sometimes. I feel like this is a separation/anxiety issue maybe? I would sure appreciate any advice you might have. Thank youClick here to enlarge

Young Pup

I agree with you that it sounds like an anxiety issue. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with anxiety but hopefully someone will come along soon who does. Maybe the Vet can offer some guidance. Hope he starts to feel better soon!

Young Pup

DefaultYou Should Try These training steps

In order to housebreak your puppy you will need to keep him confined to a small area, not your lap, in the home. While this may seem like punishment remember that dogs were once den dwelling animals. They like their crate or doghouse as it makes them feel secure. They also want your praise, so by house training your puppy, you will be able to give them the praise that they desperately want. Simply follow this article on house training your puppy.
    Last edited by Miller; 04-09-2020 at 11:15 AM.

+ Reply to Thread