New puppy growls when taken off furniture 😧 Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New puppy growls when taken off furniture 😧

Young Pup

Default New puppy growls when taken off furniture 😧

We got an adorable BT puppy last week. We all feel in love with him! Housebreaking was going fine, all was well. Then, three days after he was with us, he began to growl if lifted off of one of us, the furniture or even his little bed on the floor! I began to train him to get off the furniture (or whoever/whatever he had settled onto) with treats while saying “Off”. He gets the treat when he is completely off. It works, BUT my one adult daughter just came home and he growled just as she was repositioning him on her. I called the breeder, but no answer. They usually call me back within 10 minutes about a question. I left a detailed message. (It’s a farm breeder but they only had one breeding couple who were friendly and healthy. I guess you would call them “backyard breeders”, but not a puppy mill. The father BT was from another state. They really liked his muscular body. The mother BT looked more true to type than the dad, especially her sweet face.) After the growling started, I phoned another breeder I had met in our search for the puppy. I’ll call her Jessica. She said that a puppy that’s growling like that at 11 weeks raised red flags. Her puppies and adults never did that. Our pup has been vet-checked and deemed healthy. (I took him the day before he began growling.) He had one distemper shot. I have wondered if that was the cause as the growling started 24 hrs later. 🤔 The reason we chose this little guy (still deciding on a name) was that he kept crawling into our laps while his littermates where friendly but not getting right into a stranger’s lap. Now I’m thinking he was not just friendly, but looking to dominate us, be on top. I have small grandkids who sometimes visit. Our last BT was great with kids. I don’t want to have to put this one away when they come over or perpetually have to give treats to remove him from the couch. 😞 Please advise...

Young Pup

HelloHopefully this is not a dominance issue. I did want to mention Moose growled at us a couple times last year which turned out to be because he wasn't feeling well. He was actually suffering from pancreatitis.

Young Pup

Did anything ever come of this? If not have you noticed if he does it towards a certain gender only??

+ Reply to Thread