separation anxiety with new rescue Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: separation anxiety with new rescue

Young Pup

Default separation anxiety with new rescue

hello! i’m new to the forum and a first time boston owner. my partner and i just adopted a gorgeous girl five days ago. without passing too much judgement, i think i can call this a rescue scenario: she was a part of a backyard breeding sort of operation, having had multiple litters in her 3 years on earth, plus she was left crated for as long as 12-16 hours in a day (we had no idea this was the situation until we actually arrived at the site).

we brought her home and we adore her, but her separation anxiety has made things very difficult. she can’t be left alone for more than 1minute before she starts barking and howling (I don’t mean leaving the house, either. I mean just going into the next room). if we leave her longer than 10 minutes, she will pee. the previous owner said in her ad that she was house trained and maintains that she is, but that has not been the case at all. We can’t give her the run of the house because she’ll pee on everything, and we are trying to crate train her.

We have a routine set up; we feed her at the same time in the morning and in the afternoon. we take her outside every hour on the hour and we praise her when she relieves herself outside. (we’re planning to space it out over time as she improves, going from one hour between walks to an hour and 15 minutes, an hour and a half, etc). We then let her have a bit of supervised time off the leash in the house before returning her to her crate. The trouble is, she starts crying the minute I walk away from the crate and if I’m out of sight (even just in the next room) for 10 minutes, she pees. I feel quite certain this is a separation anxiety thing because if we are in the same room as her, she won’t pee at all for any length of time and she is absolutely quiet. at night, when we go to bed, she starts barking and will go all night. we literally fall asleep to barking and we wake up to barking (as well as a thoroughly soiled crate). i think that the crux of the problem is that peeing/pooing in her crate was never an issue before (her previous owner admitted that when she would leave this poor girl in the crate for 12-16 hour stretches, she would come back to a mess). she’s used to doing her business in the crate and i’m just not sure how to train her otherwise/communicate to her that outside is the only option, now.

what i’m also wondering is how best to handle this situation and how long do you think it will take before we see improvement? i don’t want to coddle her and turn her into a codependent pet who can’t be left alone, but i also want to be kind and sensitive to her needs. i have adopted shelter dogs before and i anticipated some growing pains with this one, but i wasn’t expecting neediness on this scale at all. please help! thank you so much!

Young Pup

That is so great to read. It is like a therapy, I swear!

Young Pup

Listen, I’ve read a lot of stories so far about anxiety and how it works, from the fact that it is not a big deal to the fact that it should be treated in hospitals, or it can lead to some serious consequences. If someone here is experiencing depression or anxiety right now one of the best things you can try is medical marijuana or simply weed, if your state allows it, obviously, or maybe something a little better, kratom, but only if it is allowed in your state, again. Nevertheless, everybody can learn about its benefits here kratomgallery.com and decide yourself if they want to try it or not. I hope that this will help you solve your problems.

+ Reply to Thread