not the greatest meeting with new lil sis puppy... Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: not the greatest meeting with new lil sis puppy...

Default not the greatest meeting with new lil sis puppy...

We just bought a female American Bulldog puppy. When I went to see her she got along great with her brothers and sister and parents, but when I brought her home to meet Vegas she seemed a little aggressive. All Vegas wanted to do was play and she got all stiff and kind of snapped at him. I've tried to introduce them 2 other times now and she does the same thing. Now Vegas is scared of her. She hasn't done any harm, but I can tell he's put off by her. B/c of her breed she's already a bit bigger than him, and shes just going to get HUGE. I just don't want him to be scared of her, nor do I want her to snap at him.
    Any advice?
    Has this happened when introducing new pups with anyone else?
    Click here to enlarge
    "Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car,
    in case the need should arise for them to bark violently
    at nothing right in your ear." - Dave Barry

We've always introduced our new dogs to their new siblings on neutral territory. Since the initial intro has already occurred, start fresh. Walking together is a great equalizer. If possible, one person should walk Vegas and someone else the bulldog. People on the inside, dogs on the outside. Just walk - keep moving forward. Then put one of the dogs in the middle, keep moving forward with a person between the dogs. If all is going well put the other dog inside where the 2 dogs are walking next to each other. But keep moving. Don't expect one such walk to resolveall the issues, but you'll probably be amazed at how quickly they will make progress.

Take hope in my situation. 4 months ago my hubby brought home an American bulldog he found standing on the side of a busy street. She's about a year old and quite large. Opie is 3, but only 15 pounds. He rules! She is totally in love with him. They chase each other, wrestle and play tug of war. They'll each be holding an end of a toy. Sometimes she's pulling him across the floor and sometimes he's pulling her. I had my doubts at first, but they are great for each other. I think your guys will eventually work it out.

I'm so glad to hear your story!! I was worried that once our bully really starts to grow, Vegas might get a little annoyed that she's so big. lol.

As far as walking, we can't walk her just yet, she's not fully vaccinated and Parvo is VERY bad out here where we live. So as of now she only goes in the back yard. But they do seem to be getting along a bit better. Vegas, our B.T. is really a big scaredy cat. I know it's not her size b/c he's played really great with Boxers before and great danes. I'm not sure what it is, but every now and then he'll see her running towards him and he freezes and pees. Quite annoying. I'm hoping he just needs to get used to her.
    Click here to enlarge
    "Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car,
    in case the need should arise for them to bark violently
    at nothing right in your ear." - Dave Barry

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

American Gentleman

http://bostonterrierforums.com/forum...-new-dogs.html
    My post here may be of some help to you.

You may need to limit their contact together for a few days and give them short play sessions together with a lot of positive reinforcement when they are together.

If your yard is big enough you could leash walk them both in the in the yard even if you're just making circles.

If you aren't practicing NILF training, I'd start with that right away. (Nothing in life is free)

Good luck, I think in a little time they will be fine.

+ Reply to Thread