Excellent article--please read!! Especially if you are a Ceasar fan :) Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excellent article--please read!! Especially if you are a Ceasar fan :)

Default Excellent article--please read!! Especially if you are a Ceasar fan :)

http://lifeasahuman.com/2011/pets/bl...anine-reality/

This articulates everything I try to say whenever someone comes here talking about "pack leadership" and "respect". This separates fact based in scientific research and the crap spewed by self-titled "dog psychologists". Cesar is entertainment. That's all. Truly.
    Click here to enlarge

Very interesting read. It is funny, whenever I mention to anyone that Ceasar is entertainment and that i do not beleive in his so called methods of training people give me a hard time. To many Caesar is the god of dog behavior. And truthfully, I felt that way until I got Izzy and really started researching training.
    Click here to enlarge

I know. It's all Hollywood. Sigh. But I was the same--I liked him just find before I knew any better. And there are a few things I still agree with him on--like dogs need to be put on the ground, not in carriers. Dogs need walks. And that's probably it, LOL!
    Click here to enlarge

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Izzy still has a bad habit of jumping on people she just meets. I am trying real hard to stop her from doing this. We are making progress. My neighbor made a comment just the other day. He said "You need to call Ceasar!". I gave him a real dirty look!
    Click here to enlarge

LOL! In our house, we let them put their paws on our knees as we are giants (I'm 6'1", hubby is 6'10"). It hurts to bend all the way over. If I know we're having non-dog friendly people over, I put the dogs in another room till they calm down, but we don't have many people like that in our lives Click here to enlarge

You can always counter with 'but Victoria is so much more effective'
    Click here to enlarge

American Gentleman

http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonli...0statement.pdf

I found this one when browsing around recently, it was from an article/blog about why Cesars methods are wrong and outdated...

American Gentleman

Click here to enlarge

LOL.....

I have a little story...recently at the local BT meet up there was a guy with 2 BT's, he was doing the jab 'psht' noise with them and pretty frequently. I immediately thought "Cesar fan"...anyway a bit into the meet up he was having his dogs sit for treats, yes treats in the dog park...duh...so Tank and Georgie go to check him out, he is sitting on the ground, he tells them to sit which they don't do and Tank starts to walk away...he grabs hold of Tank's harness and pulls him back while telling him to sit, which Tank doesn't do and lucky for the guy Tank isn't reactive...but if he'd have grabbed Georgie I'd have had an issue with that since she's my rescue who was mishandled as a pup, she doesn't bite but I don't need strangers grabbing her...so anyway, I walk over and tell Tank to sit, then Georgie which they both do and honestly surprised me lol, but anyway I use hand signals and that is why they sat for me and not this guy with the treats. But the point to my story lol...this guy's BT's were 10yrs and 4yrs old, mine are 2yrs and 2 1/2yrs (been with me 1yr) and mine were better behaved and interacted better with the other dogs, so I had to think I must be doing something right Click here to enlarge.

Last edited by Foxy; 06-16-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Enjoyed reading this. Thanks for posting.

Does anyone know anyone who's actually been on Ceasar's show? I'd be so interested in talking to someone about their experience and what really happened- the parts that weren't aired on tv!
    Sarah - Proud mommy to Bentley & Penelope <3

It's like having well behaved children..you know your doing something right when they listen to your hand vs. listening to food bribes!!! Good job Foxy Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Sounds like that guys was using way too many ideas and his dogs were confused out of their gourds. I had some homeless guy stop to talk to me once when I was walking one of our more bouncy canines from Homeward. He was definitely one of my challenging ones, but he was learning. Th homeless guy was, I think, trying to 'audition' for a volunteer spot by trying to get this dog to sit by smacking him on the nose and wrenching him around. I politely got away, but it was weird. I haven't seen the guy since.

I sometimes take a treat pouch to the dog park when I need to refresh one of my dogs that I really do mean 'come' when I say, or when I have a new dog in my group Click here to enlarge But I wouldn't take a treat bag to a meet-up where the dogs all run around in a group. My dog park is more trails and a walk for both human and dog with the occasional meeting with another dog or two. My crew really doesn't do well in a swarmy type dog park. Truman gets too excited and can act out.

One of the comments at the end of that article was lovely--the guy wanted to print it out to give to every brainwashed Cesar person coming into his training classes. I feel the same way. The author was just so good at getting his point across.
    Click here to enlarge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast