Moving impact on Boston? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving impact on Boston?

Default Moving our Boston to new place, Need Advice

Hi i am Lilly's mom and my husband and I have been living with the Inlaws for the past year and a half while going back to school. But now is the time to get our own place, which is Great! But Lilly has spent most of her life her in this house, my mother inlaw does not work and there is almost always someone home. Lilly still prefers us not to leave her though even if other people she loves are there. Also my sister inlaw has a yorkie puppy that is in love with Lilly and they spend everyday and sometimes nights playing and hanging out. They are the best of buddiesClick here to enlargeSO we are moving in 3 weeks and I am very nervous the drastic changes of how they will effect her and the process of moving and change of routine. I work 2 mins from the new place so I can go home on my lunch hour and give her some love and go for a walk. And we are gonna get a puppy this summer once she is settled because she really enjoys her time with the yorkie so much we realized its important for her. Most likly we will get a pug, bug or a boston. So she will be alone from the late morning till about 5 pm, so like 6 hours at most. Does anyone have advice for moving with Bostons? And things that will help her adjust better? I am super nervous and feeling gulity for having to work and leave her alone. Anyone deal with this before? Thank you for any advice, she does have some anxiety issues, mostly fireworks, but some seperation too. Lindsey
    Last edited by aileen231; 04-17-2012 at 10:08 AM.

It does not have to be Boston specific, if you have moved with any dog that would be helpful. Just any advice would be great. I just want it to be smooth for her, as much as possible.

Young Pup

We moved just over 2 weeks ago from an apartment to a house. It took a little bit but our little guy now seems fully adjusted. He never really had any issues, naturally he whined more than usual when I would leave for work in the morning, and being able to see people walk past the windows is still something he doesn't quite understand yet (we previously lived on the third floor) but all in all he has adjusted very well. We tried to keep our schedule as similar as it was prior to the move that way the only new thing was his surrounding which seems to have worked.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

i recently moved with my boston to a new town and apartment. also before that i had just adopted her as an adult dog. needless to say she was pretty freaked out the first couple days. one thing that really helped was that a friend recommended to me, to put her kennel up first thing when you get to the new house. then she can go in there and hang out and feel a little safer as all the furniture gets moved in and stuff. besides that i tried to not leave her alone too long and i made sure to have her old things around so she would understand this new place was home. after a week you would have never known we moved.

Young Pup

I think one thing that might help is taking it slow and adjusting her schedule while she's still at your in-laws. Begin leaving her alone in small increments every day, and make alone time fun by filling kongs with amazing yummy treats for her. She won't even notice you're gone. If you start now, in 3 weeks things will be a lot easier. Try to match your new routine.

+ Reply to Thread