Pees crate only during the day.. - Page 2 Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pees crate only during the day..

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 1bostonluvr Click here to enlarge
    I was also thinking it might be the crate. My girls had a crate where you had the ability to make it smaller. It came with an insert that you could move forward or backward. Once we moved the insert forward so she only had room to pretty much turn around that stopped her peeing. As she got older we moved it back until we were able to remove it completely. I also agree with you that her playtime at lunch is probably a good thing. If it were me I wouldn't cut that out. Abbey needed all the play she could have when she was a puppy. Does your husband take her out right before he leaves again?
    They are outside the whole time during lunch break. I wonder if he should try crating her for 10 minutes midway through his break so it resets her for outside time... seems like a waste of her precious lunch break outing though.
    Click here to enlarge

Your welcome!

AndyP, my 4 month old Midge does this too. She goes pee and poop in her crate, even though it's the correct size for her. It's very frustrating. Every day I come home at lunch to take her out and she's already gone and made a mess and then I'm late getting back to work. Otherwise, we have a schedule just like Norma's (love the name) and Midge is doing well on it. So I can't help except to say we're dealing with this too and I'll let you know if I figure out a solution!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Yesterday she did great during her noon and 3pm - no accidents! But when I got home at 530 there was pee. And apparently she had been rolling in it.

Now when she pees during the day she goes straight outside to watch us wash the crate and then she gets a hose shower. She hates it, obviously, but while the weather is still warm it serves both cleaning her and teaching her that if she doesn't want a cold shower she will have to stop peeing the crate. Sometimes I feel like its mean but she needs the bath anyway. A friend of mine with BTs actually hoses them off while they are still locked inside the crate, so at least I feel better that I'm not doing the "prison shower".
    ChelseaLynn likes this.
    Click here to enlarge

HI there, sounds like your schedule is awesome, clearly you are diligent in raising your girl...
    In looking at your schedule, I would be interested in what the series of events is with times during your husband's lunch break.
    Not meant to be an indictment or anything, but maybe there is an opportunity to shift, for example the play time and the water break, or give her the water break earlier so that she has a better chance to be successful in peeing at lunch...
    Anyhow, just an observation, good luck!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dana and Sheila Click here to enlarge
    HI there, sounds like your schedule is awesome, clearly you are diligent in raising your girl...
    In looking at your schedule, I would be interested in what the series of events is with times during your husband's lunch break.
    Not meant to be an indictment or anything, but maybe there is an opportunity to shift, for example the play time and the water break, or give her the water break earlier so that she has a better chance to be successful in peeing at lunch...
    Anyhow, just an observation, good luck!
    God only knows what they get up to when I'm not home...

I'll ask him to try watering her before they play, maybe that will work.
    ChelseaLynn likes this.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AndyP Click here to enlarge
    God only knows what they get up to when I'm not home...

I'll ask him to try watering her before they play, maybe that will work.
    LOL!!! love that. I don't have any advice but I hope it gets better!! I've been trying to think of suggestions but the only thing I can think of is try taking out any bedding in her crate. Then when she goes pee she has to lye in it but you said she rolled around in it so that may not work. Maybe try making the crate even just a tad smaller, see how she reacts to that? You are really doing everything right and hvae such an amazing schedule!!! I can't think of anything to suggest because it is a really good schedule!!! Good luck!!

Norma did two days in a row without peeing her crate while we were at work.

A few other setbacks though.

When I let her out yesterday at 530pm she was pretty excited and a few dribbles or pee came out when she was getting out of the crate. Not a big deal, I think. Still required cleaning but she had a real sized pee outside immediately after.

Today she made it all day with no accidents. When I was changing after work she was in my room with me and jumped on the bed (which she is not supposed to be on). By the time I went to shoo her away she had peed on my brand new duvet. ARGH!

Overall I am pleased with her progress. Not sure what did the trick or if she just gained a bit more bladder control.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!
    Click here to enlarge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12