Unexplained anxiety Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unexplained anxiety

Young Pup

Default Unexplained anxiety

My 2.5 year old boston, Walter, has been acting very strange for the past week. He has started acting very anxious, shaking, panting, pacing while we've been at home for no apparent reason. He started this a week ago Sunday night, continued to do it nightly for a few days, then stopped. He started it up again this Sunday and has continued. We've ruled out any medical issues with three trips to the vet (CBC and chemistry panel all normal, nothing on physical exam). He actually acted completely normal when we went to the vet, then started acting strange again once we got home. After the third trip, the vet decided he was just anxious and actually gave me a prescription for fluoxetine (prozac). I haven't started it yet because I want to figure out what is going on first. It's very disheartening because Walter has always been a very happy, high-energy dog. He is not showing any interest in his toys. All he will do is just tremor and cling to us when we sit on the couch. Eating, drinking, pooping all has been normal.

Nothing has changed at home recently. We did have to put my boyfriend's dog to sleep 3 months ago, but I am not sure if this is too far out to have this acute change. He's been the type of dog to whine/growl/bark at dogs when they walk past the house, so he's always had a high energy (anxiety?) level at baseline. I just wish I could get him to snap out this because it's making me sad that I can't seem to do anything to help him. We are starting an obedience class coincidently on Saturday, so maybe the socialization will do him good since we haven't gotten to do much recently with the cold weather.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions you may have.
    Kate

i'm sorry to hear your concern... i don't have any advice but i hope you get it figured out.

Young Pup

Just a theory: Perhaps there is a new sound, smell or change in his envoronment that's causing this. Have you purchased a new appliance recently? (Might an old one be on the fritz?) Has you or your boyfriend altered your appearance (e.g., new hairdo, new hat, etc.)? Is there a new piece of furniture? Have you changed cleaning products?

If he's high strung to begin with, I imagine any kind of change might trigger this anxious behavior. Has anything changed in your house recently that might correspond with the onset of the behavior?

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Young Pup

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by as219 Click here to enlarge
    Have you purchased a new appliance recently? (Might an old one be on the fritz?)
    That is an interesting thought. We did buy a new fridge on 1/8. The behavior started on 1/13. But he had a few days from 1/16 until this past Sunday (1/20) when he was normal too. I've always thought about the smoke detectors maybe making a noise we can't hear...

not to freak you out but i remember my dog acted like this for a few days after i had a friend go let her out during the day when I wasn't home. I could tell she was upset a stranger had been in the home and she acted suspicious for a few days and was really scared.

Young Pup

I'm so sorry to hear that...

Young Pup

How is your friend now? You should initially contact veterinarians in such cases, but not to ordinary people who have not experienced this personally. Take care of your pet and all I could recommend is to get acquainted with the product range at https://www.koalitymedicinals.com/, because when I was very worried about my pet, I even faced panic attacks, but it was cbd gummies that helped me survive the huge stress when I took my Bobbley to the doctor for a checkup after the appearance of lethargy and refusal of the usual food
    Last edited by majestic; 11-30-2020 at 05:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread