Paw Playing- common with BT's?? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paw Playing- common with BT's??

Young Pup

Default Paw Playing- common with BT's??

Since we've had our two BT's (6 months now) we have noticed that they "play" with their paws a lot. Almost like high-fiving us. Is this a common trait with BT's? This is our first time owning BT's and have never had any other breed do this. Its really cute but sometimes you get in the line of fire and get hit in the face with a paw!!
    Thanks for your input!
    ~R
    Rebecca Click here to enlarge

I'm not sure about common since I am a first time Boston owner myself but I'm pretty sure that is what my Boston's do when they play or sometimes when I am rubbing their bellies so it is possible. I think it is their way of saying "come on keep rubbing my belly", "play with me" or "your face is getting too close for my liking". I agree with you it is really cute, I just have to be careful because my face has gotten in the line of fire a couple of times when I am rubbing their bellies.

I also think this is pretty common. My guy is only 9ish weeks old and is already doing this a lot. Two Frenchies I know do the same thing, and I've noticed a lot of similarities between Bostons and Frenchies! I've never noticed other breeds to do it as much, although I did teach one of my parent's labs to high-five on command, but that seems to be the only time she gets really paw-y.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

It think its a breed thing.

Norma is the WORST for this. You'll go in for a pat and get pawed in the face. It is taking a lot to teach her that her paws for the ground only!
    Click here to enlarge

LOL i never thought much about it until i read this thread but you are so right. littledog will always "push" me with her paws and rather rudely, paw at my hands while im eating. i think its like the boston version of barking - instead of barking they like tap you to say, Hey Look!

Must be a breed thing our girl is very Pawy! I will give her zurberts on her belly(blow on her belly) and she will paw me right in thehead. But when I stop she wiggles in the bed with her tounge out waiting for more. Loves it!!!
    Click here to enlarge

My Olive is 9 months old, she use's her paws like hands. Its crazy, cute and it HURTS. I am trying to help her learn to be more gentle.

During play time she will use her paws to try to get you to let go, and she kinda trys to grab things with her paws like a bear would.

One super cute thing she still does she has stuffed animals and when she is sleepy she grabs one jumps up on the bed or couch to cuddle and she will kneed her paws and suckle the stuffed animal. Kinda like a kitten would! Its the most adorable thing.

But she is big now 17 pounds and its hard to play with her without getting those raised welt like scratches on our hands.

If anyone knows of a great way to train not to do that! Please give us a uninjured hand! lol

Young Pup

My Willis does this too. He comes over with a toy in his mouth (his duck is his current fav) and will stand beside me and paw at my leg gently as if to say 'play with me mom!'

He is also (very occasionally) allowed to sleep in our bed with us and he will wake us by pawing gently. So far he's not been rough and I too think its cute Click here to enlarge

Young Pup

My pupster definitely plays with her paws. Holds things between them like a human, rakes things (like hands and toys and arms) towards her with them, and will push off you with them if she's laying next to you. She also gives random high fives and hand shakes to me and even strangers!!

+ Reply to Thread