Ughh, more issues. Fireworks, fear, hiding etc etc Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ughh, more issues. Fireworks, fear, hiding etc etc

Young Pup

Default Ughh, more issues. Fireworks, fear, hiding etc etc

So, the other night I was walking Frankie and someone started lighting fireworks off. That ended our walk abruptly. The next night we were walking again and sure enough, fireworks again. I had to carry him home this time. Last night we get to the end of the driveway and he was pulling against me to go back to the house. Clearly he is completely afraid to walk in the dark now. In relation to all of this fear... when we get back in the house he now runs under the bed and doesn't come out for hours. Its like WTF! We can't win here. He was perfectly normal until the last few weeks when he got scared of the neighbors dog and now it seems fireworks do the trick too. We have no idea how to correct his fears. We are starting advanced obedience training next month but that will do nothing for his fears I would assume. Anyone have similar issues? What are you doing about it?

Its very normal, My Boston Lilly was a round a big firework being set off and that was all it took. She is so freaked out that during the summer we have to do Dog Prozak, because she starts thinking any noise is a firework and hides under beds during the day.

So we use the anti anxeity dog pills, it doesnt stop her from being upset during or hiding. But the next day she is fine not upset still.

There is a thing called a Thunder Shirt a lot of people use this, its a velcro shirt that swalddles them. Its supposed to calm them during things like that.

There is also homeopathic stuff you can buy at like petsmart for calming the baby. Your class might have some other great advice too, you should ask. Maybe some coping mechanisms? Its stressful when they are upset and hiding, but it will run its course. May take them potty before it gets dark till the hoiday is over?

And if it gets really bad, then talk to your vet and maybe about doing some doggie Valium? Dont do the tranqilizers!!!! It just makes them drunk like but still freaking out inside...

Hope this helps you some?

Have a great day

Young Pup

thank you for replying. I have been looking at the thundershirt and we might give it a try. I think he is relating the area at the end of the driveway as the "firework zone" we tried going out again last night before dark and he was still scared. So we got in the truck and went to the school down the street and he had no problem running around and doing his business. However he didn't go under the bed last night so maybe were making progress.

+ Reply to Thread