Diarrhea/Soft Stool, 13 weeks old, questions... Please help! Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RckStrGrl21

Thread: Diarrhea/Soft Stool, 13 weeks old, questions... Please help!

Young Pup

Default Diarrhea/Soft Stool, 13 weeks old, questions... Please help!

My Fiance and I picked up Gertie (Gertrude) last Friday and she has been a absolute joy to have around. She is a 13 week old BT.

That aside, we began switching her food (25% new food) starting day 1, then after 3 days 50/50. Well today, (still the 50/50 mix) she had diarrhea, last night her stool was very soft but not too bad. She couldn't really hold it today as she seems to know to go to the door when she needs to go, but this morning she had two accidents.

She was fed Purina One Smart Blend Puppy (2 stars according to Dog Food Advisor), and we are trying to switch her to Wellness Small Breed Complete Health Puppy (4.5 stars according to Dog Food Advisor). Does anyone think that the Wellness could be the issue? Are we switching too fast?

She was given 3 1/2 tsp doses of pepto bismol today and it has helped slightly. I don't know what I am in for tonight/tomorrow as we restricted food to small servings today. The 2 times she has gone it has been more firm, but still very runny.

Thanks for any input/advice,

Parker22

good idea to have her checked for paricites. We had a similar situation with coccidia being the cause in our new baby. Hope this is not the case but best to rule out. You can always add a little pure pumpkin puree to one meal. This is good for both constipation and loose stools. That does not seem too fast to switch foods. Are you feeding her 3-4 small meals a day?

You seem to be doing it correctly, id get him checked for parasites just in case but it is totally normal to have loose stool while switching. it could be up to 2 weeks. Adding canned pumpkin, no seasonings, would help. If after 2 weeks the stool isnt back to normal I would look into other foods. Sometimes the food with high protein is too much for their little puppy stomachs, at least that is what I found with my BT. I have had great success with Natural Balance, but every BT is different.
    tolson261 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Young Pup

We are feeding her approx. 1/3 cup 3x a day (so 1 cup a day). She has been checked, has no parasites or anything like that. It seems to be quite a bit better today... but we backed off the new food slightly.

I would try adding a small spoonful of plain pumpkin to her food. It should help calm her tummy.

Default Pumpkin in The Food

Hello, same story. 11 week old female BT. Diarrhea, just gave her a teaspoon the 100% pumpkin in her food for the first time. The question is, how often should I do this, once a day or every meal and for how long. Her first Vet appointment is in 2 days. Going to inquire about parasites etc. Thanks so much.

+ Reply to Thread