Tent Camping w/BT - tips, suggestions, personal experience Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boston_Lu

Thread: Tent Camping w/BT - tips, suggestions, personal experience

Smile Tent Camping w/BT - tips, suggestions, personal experience

We are taking our first camping trip with Gertie over Labor Day. It's not rustic camping by any means as it's a campsite/river tubing place so there's running water/restrooms...but we will be roughing it in a tent. I read through some past camping posts on here, but most are a couple years old and from people who camp via campers. I'd love to hear from people who have gone tent camping with their bostons and any tips/suggestions you may have from your experience. Are there any supplies that you would suggest to bring that maybe you wouldn't normally think of? We are going up north Wisconsin...so any mosquito/tick repellent favorites...or bug tips in general? Gertie is a bit on the insecure side, so I've been taking her to nature parks for our weekend walks to get her used to the new sites/sounds and she's rockin' it like a champ. Overall, we are super excited as we ourselves haven't been camping in three years...and I welcome any tips/suggestions/tales you all have picked up along the way.

Young Pup

We went tent camping with ours last summer for the first time when he was 1 yr old. Ours has a tendency to wander off in exploration mode, plus he LOVES meeting new people so he'll wander about other people's sites if we let him. The one essential thing we bought was an outdoor stake + leash type thing for dogs. You nail it into the ground and it has a nice long heavy duty rubber leash that keeps him within a certain range. You can get different lengths but we didn't want him to wander into the roads so we got the 30ft one I think. This was great so we could just relax and not have to worry about him, or constantly call him, plus its portable as you can put it into the ground wherever in case there's nothing else to tie him to. It also rotates as he walks around so it minimizes tangling. Other than that, nothing special. He sleeps with us normally so he would just sleep in our tent with us on his blanket or on top of our sleeping bags. We're in BC Canada so bugs/ticks weren't much of an issue.

I would try and keep the bedtime routine as close to usual if possible.

Also be sure to bring doggie first aid things with you like benadryl and a wound spray.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

we took our one year old BT camping for the first time last month. He LOVED it! It was also his first time swimming, and now he's hooked Click here to enlarge As for the camping we stayed in a tent trailer and the only issue was him waking up from the different noises during the night and he would bark once or twice and then go back to sleep. We brought his usual blankets so there would be familiar smells for him. Definitey bring a tie-cable and ground stake (incase of no trees or suitable place to attach the tie-out).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our first BT: Buddy (2013-08-13)

Anytime I've ever taken a boston camping (tent or otherwise), they've always been so tired out from running, chasing, swimming, and general hyperness that by bedtime they are passed out so hard that the second coming wouldn't wake them.
    RckStrGrl21 likes this.

Young Pup

mosquitoes are really a huge problem, especially near water

Young Pup

I really like camping. I went in our first hiking 4 years ago. This experience was amazing. After it we have gone in mountains very often. There are only one problem, all lanterns were very low quality, we could be without any light for one week, because our lantern is broken . My friend recommended me to order camping lantern. It is very durable and waterproof, and because af small size and black color it is pretty imperceptible. I am shocked that it cost just 30 dollars. However, you inspired me to change anything else in my garden

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PeterNashRw8 Click here to enlarge
    mosquitoes are really a huge problem, especially near water
    That's why you either don't set up your camp near rivers and lakes. But if there's no way to stay somewhere else you can just grab a pair of mosquito zappers as was mentioned on pestcontrolhacks.com. I have a bigger one in my backyard and have a smaller one for camping trips.

+ Reply to Thread