Total height including ears? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Total height including ears?

Young Pup

DefaultTotal height including ears?

Hey everyone, I'm new here.

I'm considering buying a boston terrier, but they're quite rare and extremely expensive in my area - not to mention that when they become available they're mostly puppies and I'd prefer an adult dog so I've been researching what would be involved in shipping a boston to me from the USA(I'm in Canada).

I do have one question that I haven't been able to find an answer to online though.

I've been trying to figure out what size crate would be required for air shipping, but because dogs are generally measured from floor to shoulder, online breed standard measurements are incredibly unhelpful. Also, because bostons have big erect ears and brachycephalic dogs require 3" clearance above their ears, even the crate manufacturers crate sizing guidelines are very likely inaccurate as well.

I was wondering is any of you would be willing to measure your adults from floor to ear tips, and let me know, along with with any other information you think may be helpful(gender, if your dog is taller or shorter than average, if the ears don't stand completely etc)

Thank you in advance to anyone thats able to help!

All-American Dog

Hi, I am thinking that when you find two or three adults and are chosing among them, just go ahead and ask their current caretaker to measure for you. The height of that dog and only that dog is the measurement you will need to buy your shipping kennel. You can get a kennel shipped to your home within 2-4 days via chewy.com and Amazon.com (Prime). Be aware that the difference between the internal measurements of any kennel and their external measurements can be as much as 5". Always ask the vendor for accurate floor measurements. I know that chewy will contact the manufacturer for you. Choose a kennel you can use to house your dog once at home. I chose Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel black and taupe. The color designation is code for a type of kennel suitable for shipping and home use. I paid about $65 on sale. Since I was able to estimate the adult size of my growing pup, and asked the breeder what size she used, and read suggestions online, I chose the 32" length which translates to a 26" internal measurement for that vari kennel. Hope this helps.

Karen and Pilot
    Last edited by LIDuck; 04-01-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: better reply

Young Pup

Thumbs upDon't worry much

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kbbrake Click here to enlarge
    Hey everyone, I'm new here.I'm considering buying a boston terrier, but they're quite rare and extremely expensive in my area - not to mention that when they become available they're mostly puppies and I'd prefer an adult dog so I've been researching what would be involved in shipping a boston to me from the USA(I'm in Canada).I do have one question that I haven't been able to find an answer to online though.I've been trying to figure out what size crate would be required for air shipping, but because dogs are generally measured from floor to shoulder, online breed standard measurements are incredibly unhelpful. Also, because bostons have big erect ears and brachycephalic dogs require 3" clearance above their ears, even the crate manufacturers crate sizing guidelines are very likely inaccurate as well. I was wondering is any of you would be willing to measure your adults from floor to ear tips, and let me know, along with with any other information you think may be helpful(gender, if your dog is taller or shorter than average, if the ears don't stand completely etc)Thank you in advance to anyone thats able to help!
    First thing i want to say is that i love your concern of this small thing which shows your love to dogs. I respect your concern but i want to say that aren't you are thinking that is not your job. As you will hire any pet shipping company for shipping of your pet then the concern of its crate will be of there. There are many quality service provider for dog shipping . You just need to List your pet’s needs on their site and connect with professional, animal-loving, independent contract transporters committed to excellence. the will give you free quotes, have the ability to check out transporter reviews and discuss details before accepting a bid - keeping you in the driver’s seat throughout the process! So don't care much about crate size.You just need to believe on your pet runner which will safely ship your pet as that will be piece of cake for them. Best of luck

+ Reply to Thread