Difficulty standing up and unsteady gait Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difficulty standing up and unsteady gait

Default Difficulty standing up and unsteady gait

Hello all,
    I have a purebred 8 y/o Boston and his name is bolt. I've had him for 7 years and he has become part of my being. I love him so much and I hate to see him suffer. He is currently having a difficult time standing up from laying down and he has an unsteady gait. It seems like his hind legs are becoming weak because I have witnessed him face plant onto my leg when trying to climb on me. I felt completely sad yet useless as I didn't know what was wrong. When he lays down, he shakes and I've recently seen tears running down his eyes. I fear that this may be symptoms of degenerative myelopathy, which is a common disease for Boston's, but I'm not sure if he actually has it. Does anyone know how I can best help him feel more comfortable at home and what are some things I can give him to build more strength In his legs and joints. I currently put fish oil in his food but it doesn't seem to be working.
    Thanks in advance!

Young Pup

Hi Salciade. I know it’s been a while since you posted, but my answer may help another dog!. My lovely Matilda (6 y/o) had the same issue. Found hard to stand up and it seemed she was in pain. Even looked really sad. I took her to the Vet and the x-rays showed something called “cauda equina” (horse tail syndrome). She got some antiinflammatory pills and pain relief drops in a 10-Days treatment. After the first take the evolution was amazing. Its been 5 days now and she looks pretty normal. Stands up normally and even jumps on the bed and couch. Vet also recommended Royal canine mobility, rest and a special suplement with minerals, omega 3, glucosamine and other ingredients. Hope this helps someone, but please always take your Boston to the Vet!.

+ Reply to Thread