My Boston has a Pectus Carinatum (Pigeon chest) Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Boston has a Pectus Carinatum (Pigeon chest)

Default My Boston has a Pectus Carinatum (Pigeon chest)

Has anyone had or have a dog with a Pectus Carinatum (pigeon chest)? My puppy is 10 weeks old and
    acts healthy but has a protruding breast bone, I'm hoping this will take care of itself as she grows but
    have never seen this before. Should I be concerned, nothing was mentioned at her last checkup she has
    another checkup on the 13th, will be talking to the vet then.

Young Pup

I this a dx from the vet or your own research? I'm only asking cause some bostons do have a chest that kinda sticks out, pepper does at least. These dogs have lean muscle, not as stocky as a boxer or a pit which look kinda like bostons, so there chests can look big.

No actual dx yet, her next appointment isn't until the 13th. But she has a very noticeable breast bone that sticks out, my other Boston's never had this, so when I tried to
    look it up that was what I found on the internet. I had never heard of it before, I hope your right StreetMoggy and this is just her growing into her body.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Young Pup

I do see what you mean. But still hard to say. I don't know much on the subject myself. Please keep us updated as to what the vet thinks.

Young Pup

Default Same thing

My dog Lucy has the same thing. Her chest looks just like your dogs. We took her to the vet and they said that as long as there are no conditions or symptoms that it's likely nothing to worry about. So far she acts normal so we are just waiting. She is 14 weeks old now. Are you guys doing anything special or also waiting to see if there's any issues.

Josey is 5 months now, our vet said the same thing. She is a healthy puppy with lots of energy and
    she hasn't been effected at all with her abnormal chest, actually as she is growing it's become a lot
    less noticeable. I will try to attach a pick, she will be getting spayed when she turns 6 months. I don't
    think you have anything to worry about with Lucy, please keep me updated if it seems to cause her problems.

Young Pup

Hi everyone, I saw the pics and i too have an 8 week old boston Achilles that has the same chest. Have you guys found anything else about this? Your pups are probably older now... thank!

Sorry don't have any good advice but hope you find the best advice and some good information soon with the help of the others. Doesn't encounter this before im lock of information about this kind of infection.

Young Pup

I'm resurrecting this thread in the hopes that one of the previous posters is able to provide an update on their dog. We have a 12 week old BT named Blu and we just learned she has pectus carinatum (pigeon chest). This is covered by the breeder's contract, however we are torn on how to proceed. It's only been 4 weeks but the family has already fallen in love with this little girl.A couple weeks ago we started to notice that her chest felt odd. She also seemed to be laboring to breathe. When we took her to the vet, they provided the diagnosis, however the vet we saw that day had never seen pectus carinatum before. A couple of the other vets had seen it, but never in a boston. The vet told us she believed it was purely cosmetic and nothing to be concerned about. She also did a blood test and found a respiratory infection which she believed was causing the breathing trouble. We went back today to see a vet that has seen this before but he's only seen it in bulldogs. He said it wasn't an issue with that breed because they are so sedentary, but it could be an issue with a lively boston like ours. He wants to treat the infection and then focus on the pigeon chest.If this is going to have a negative impact on this little girl's quality of life, we'd like to know before the family gets any more attached. Our daughter is still struggling with the loss of our last dog almost a year ago. We'd hate for her to have to go through something like that again so soon. However we also want to avoid breaking the bond she and all of us have already formed with Blu. The breeder said she would take her back, but we'd like to avoid that if she's going to healthy otherwise. We couldn't care less if it's cosmetic, but want to do what we can to gain confidence in the type of life she can expect so we can figure out what's best for all. Is anybody on here able to speak to the health of their boston that was also diagnosed with this? We would greatly appreciate any insight into the impact on the breed.

Young Pup

Can you give an update of what happened to Blu I’m in the same exact situation and need help making a decision about my little guy. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread