Why its important to spay/neuter your pets - Page 2 Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Why its important to spay/neuter your pets

American Gentleman

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by louisore Click here to enlarge
    We had Luna spayed last Thur. it was also gut wrenching since they were making a larger then normal cut to address her hernia at the same time. She was very tired and complained a bit from the effects of the anesthesia the first day, but the next day she was much better. We had to keep a close eye on her to make sure she wouldn't jump up/down from the couch and also apply neosporin to her wound. She is doing much better now and the wound has significantly reduced in size.

Does anyone know how long I need to wait to give her a bath?
    At least till her incision is healed and the stitches or whatever they used are gone or removed...about 2 weeks on average.
    You can use a wet wash cloth or baby wipes to freshen her up.

My Petey is getting neutered May 13th. He will be 7 months old May 15th. Is waiting the extra recommended month a bad thing?
    Click here to enlarge

Default Pyometra

I recently had my Xolo pass away from Pyometra. I didnt have her spayed because she was so tiny that I thought going through a surgery would be too risky. But because of the fact she wasnt spayed she got a womb infection. I now have a female BT and she will most definetely be getting spayed so she can live a longer healthier life than my Xolo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Spaying or neutering has many benefits. Is it true that spayed and neutered dogs have higher performance with regards to physical competitions?
    "There is no such thing as an ugly Boston Terrier. There are some that are closer to perfection than others, that is all." - Frank Grover

My lil Twig is only 3 months right now, but at what age do you recommend spaying? I've heard different ages varying from 5-9 months. I initially was thinking at the 6 month mark, but now I'm scared she may go into heat before then.

Twiggy I would ask your vet and go by their recommendations. I would at around the 6 month mark, maybe a bit before. I've read a lot about how if you do it too soon it can be bad and doing it too late can be bad also. Talking to your vet would be the best way to decide!

Thanks Chelsea! She's going for her last shot this Friday so I'll ask the vet then and post an update. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Yeah the age to neuter/spay debate is hard. Some people say really early while others say later. Even different vets have different opinions. I'm going to just listen to what my vet says also. I know with females is they definitely want it down before the first heat so they will probably recommend a bit before the 6 month mark just to make sure Click here to enlarge

Yes I'd be interested to hear what your vet recommends! Click here to enlarge

Young Pup

(I hope my picture is attached)
    I spayed my 5 month old Boston on Monday (it's been 5 days now)- just wanted to see if anyone saw anything abnormal with the way it's healing, or if I'm just being a nut and its healing just fine. Click here to enlarge She bounced back so fast from the surgery and its been hard to keep her still; my wild child.

If you neuter your dog, isn't it possible that it may have the tendency to eat more and get fat?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast