Worried about my boson pup, breathing and other issues. Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Worried about my boson pup, breathing and other issues.

Young Pup

Default Worried about my boson pup, breathing and other issues.

Hi!

New to the forum, was searching online for a swedish one but the only one I found seems to have died around 2013. So excuse any grammar mistakes since english isn´t my first language.

So to my question(s), I have a Boston puppy, 6,5 months old now. I´m worrying he has trouble breathing and that his nostrils are too tight. He has always had a runny nose, started soon after we brought him home. Especially outdoors, it´s like white foam coming out of his nose. He also has runny eyes, especially after sleeping. He also snores, sneezes and grunts quite a lot. I have no problem with this since I know this is quite normal with short muzzle breeds. But this and all the other symptoms has me quite worried. I love the little fella so I only want what´s best for him.

We have been to a veterinarian, who confirmed his respiratory system and nostrils are pretty tight and that the soft palate is too long. I´ve heard from other people that it´s quite common the Bostons sort of grow out of these problems during the first year. And of course this is what I´m hoping for.

So now I turn to you guys, have you had any experience with what I wrote above, good ones or bad? Surgery or not? As I wrote before I really hope he just grows out of it. In any case any surgery will have to wait until he´s at least 1 year old and fully grown.

Thanks for your time and I hope to get some responses from all you boston lovers out there! Click here to enlarge

Young Pup

10868038_10152379730537134_7128266985330127677_n.jpgIMG_2060.jpg

Adding two pics, so you can se his nostrils and muzzle.

It's all very normal. If you are noticing that he gets tired quickly, and struggles to breathe during normal activity, you should definitely consider surgery. If he's having trouble breathing, he's having trouble getting his organs properly oxygenated, which will probably only get worse as he ages. I don't think its a puppy thing. His nostrils won't open up as he gets older.

Most people in the US do the surgery at the same time as the spay/neuter. I've known a few people who had it done and all were very happy in the end. They all noticed that the dogs had more energy and endurance during play and long walks/hikes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Young Pup

Thanks for the reply. Is the foamy/runny nose also common?

For now he has all the energy in the world and I´ve never noticed him getting tired during play or walks.

I've only seen the runny nose when my dog was reacting to allergies, or when it was really hot. Not sure if it is related to the pinched nose.

+ Reply to Thread