pinched nostrils - Page 2 Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pinched nostrils

Here are the pictures. Hopefully you can see her nostrils well enough in the smaller image size.

Side by side it's very obvious something has been done but I think anyone just walking up to her would have no clue. And like I say, just knowing she can breathe a lot better makes it worth it for me but I certainly understand others who don't want to do it to their dogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, that's helpful!!! Thanks for the photos!! Truman may have pinched nostrils, but they look more like the 'after shots, so I am hoping he simply grew out of it; the vet was going to reassess at 6 months.

Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

Pleased to report, after another month of growing, and with spring finally here that Oogy has been out for some long walks and running around now and seems to be just fine after hard exercise. His breathing is a bit noisier than Rusty's but it doesn't seem to slow him down. His nostrils appear more flared when he is exercising too.

Maybe he getting his big boy nostrils now!Click here to enlarge

Still holding off on neutering until I, and the vet, am more or less certain which way to go on his nostrils.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Glad to hear Dave! Keep us posted on his big boy nostrils!

i have been searching for a thread such a s this one.. its very comforting to see that i am not the only one going threw this "pinched nostril" issue.. Luna has started having some breathing problems so when we went in to get her 2nd set of shots the vet informed us that she is a candidate for the surgery when she gets older ! We are waiting untill she is 6 months to see if she outgrows it and if not then she will have it done when she is being spayed ! Very sad but i will be happy when it helps her breathe a little easyer Click here to enlarge

Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

Luna might grow out of it. Oogy seemed to. His nostrils are still tighter than Rusty's but don't seem to cause him any difficulty.
    Congratulations!
    Today is your day.
    You’re off to Great Places!
    You’re off and away!
    You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    You’re on your own.
    And you know what you know.
    And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.
    Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
    - Dr. Seuss

Give it time they may grow out of it!!!

Click here to enlarge
    Sally is Septembers Cutest Dog!

Our 7 month old Boston, Riggs, is having difficulty with his breathing. He is scheduled to be neutered next week and thinking that he might have some congestion too, I was concerned that his breathing problems might cause complications or stress during the operation. Earlier today, the vet told us that he does have stenotic nares and quite possibly a elongated palette which is the source of his difficulty. She suggested we have laser surgery done at the same time that he is being neutered to correct both problems (nares and palette),and while we are for it if it makes him breathe earier, we do have some concerns. We are wondering what his nose might look like after in the event that the procedure did not go well, and also about the amount of pain he would be in afterward having so many parts of him worked on at one. Has anyone has the laser surgery for stenotic nares and soft palette before? What is recovery like? Will he be alright left at home alone or should he be monitored for a longer period of time? We are having the neuter on a Friday so that we will be home with him all weekend, but after that we have to go back to work and Riggs will be in his kennel while we are gone.

You can surgically widen their nostrils.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tanianicole07 Click here to enlarge
    Our 7 month old Boston, Riggs, is having difficulty with his breathing. He is scheduled to be neutered next week and thinking that he might have some congestion too, I was concerned that his breathing problems might cause complications or stress during the operation. Earlier today, the vet told us that he does have stenotic nares and quite possibly a elongated palette which is the source of his difficulty. She suggested we have laser surgery done at the same time that he is being neutered to correct both problems (nares and palette),and while we are for it if it makes him breathe earier, we do have some concerns. We are wondering what his nose might look like after in the event that the procedure did not go well, and also about the amount of pain he would be in afterward having so many parts of him worked on at one. Has anyone has the laser surgery for stenotic nares and soft palette before? What is recovery like? Will he be alright left at home alone or should he be monitored for a longer period of time? We are having the neuter on a Friday so that we will be home with him all weekend, but after that we have to go back to work and Riggs will be in his kennel while we are gone.
    Im not sure what kind of recovery time you will be looking at, that is something the vet should know. I have never had a dog in which needed those kinds of surgery's, so i am sorry as i am not much help. But one thing i do know is i would monitor him like a hawk for the first few days at least!

Click here to enlarge
    Sally is Septembers Cutest Dog!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast