Is this mange? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this mange?

Young Pup

Default Is this mange?

Hi everyone,
    I have a 8month old female BT that recently developed these bald spots. These don't seem to affect her in any way nor do they itch. Has anyone had these issue before and what's the best recommended course if treatment for it? I started her on a borax/hydrogen peroxide wash and it seems to help. However, the bald spots continue. Any input is greatly appreciated!
    Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey there,

My BT Lucca had demodectic mange, it started developing probably around the time she was 8 months-1 year. We got our girl tested, (it is a skin scrapping), which you should probably do to confirm if it is mites. From memory, the mites live on the hair follicle and cause it to fall out. Lucca also developed bald spots and loss of fur. The mites do not itch, so it sounds like mange.. however, I would definitely go see your vet. We were prescribed a higher dosage of Ivermectin (the ingredient in HeartGuard) to treat the mites. Keep in mind, when the mites die, we were told it causes a reaction to which the dog will itch vigorously. So we also gave her benadryl. Although I was skeptical at first, (as we had tried other treatments), the ivermectin seemed to work. The mange is caused ultimately by the dog's immune system unable to properly combat the mites. It is weak. So hopefully.. potentially, in combination with treatment, as your dog grows older and with the right diet and perhaps a supplement to support her immune system, the mange can be vanquished. We feed our girl a grain-free dog food called Earth-born and we've also given her Fish oil since she was a puppy. Omegas support nearly everything, so look into something like this for your pup! At least, it's served us well.

Lucca pulled through it. I hope your pup can, too! Just don't give up. Give her the right diet to support her health, perhaps a supplement and go see what the main issue is, so that you can take the steps to fight the mange and develop your dog's immune system. The vets say it gets worse before it gets better and that those baths are a last resort, so don't let any of that frighten you. Just keep trying.

Keep in mind, I'm just speaking from memory and my experience. I hope this helps.

2013-07-07 14.54.12.jpg

My Boston experienced the same thing at about 8 months as well. It was demodectic mange due to mites. Started off as bald spots that increased and her skin becoming much redder than the normal light pink under her fur. Take your little pup to the vet and it will clear up in a month or 2. Tristex explanation is pretty much spot on from what I remember being explained to me by our vet. She will be OK but good luck and let me know how she does!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Young Pup

it has been a while since i last posted here and just wanted to update you all on the status of my BT and thank you to those you who took the time out to respond. After this post was made we decided to use the borax/hydrogen peroxide leave in wash on our BT for approximately 2 weeks, changed her diet to Buffalo Fish and Potato dry food, and gave her allegra liq daily. We were not completely sure if it was the diet or the wash that helped but soon after she was bald-spot free! The hydrogen peroxide discolored her fur and luckily she started to shed all of it off while new fur began to grow! Overall, it took about 2 months for her to be completely normal. Please note that we decided to take this route after researching online thoroughly and consulting with a vet friend and another BT owner. We really wanted to avoid medications if possible and thankfully it worked!

+ Reply to Thread