Vomiting and weight loss Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vomiting and weight loss

Young Pup

Default Vomiting and weight loss

I have a 9 yr. old female BT, Greta. She has become a fussy eater and frequently vomits. She is also becoming very skinny. She has been seen by a vet. (no infections, but was placed on antibiotics, just in case). I have changed her food 3 times. I am trying Taste of the Wild with lamb presently, but her vomiting patterns have persisted (every other day or even daily). She used to eat anything with no problems. I have seen some posts on this forum that suggest I am not alone with a vomiting BT. I am just worried that there is something serious and she may be in danger. Any advice?

Young Pup

After having a sick pup myself, I've learned that it's so hard to pinpoint direct reasons as to why dogs have diarrhea or vomiting. Have you tried putting him/her on Hills Science Diet Gastrointestinal I/D prescription diet? It comes in wet food or dry, but you can only buy it at your vets office since it's a "prescription". My pup will vomit or have diarrhea if he has anything other than I/D, including treats and bones. It can easy to forget that treats/bones can have an affect on your dogs stomach, since not all treats are made with the best ingredients. I don't even risk giving my pup any treats, I just use his kibble has treats and he is okay with that too. Also, is your pup calm after meal times? If he/she is active after eating, this can cause huge stomach upset. I try to plan play time before my dog eats so he is tired enough to relax after eating. Some dogs have allergies to certain foods, really common in Boston Terriers, I would suggest asking your vet if they will provide you the bland science diet to see if that helps!

Young Pup

[QUOTE=Kendallxomarie;88010]After having a sick pup myself, I've learned that it's so hard to pinpoint direct reasons as to why dogs have diarrhea or vomiting. Have you tried putting him/her on Hills Science Diet Gastrointestinal I/D prescription diet? It comes in wet food or dry, but you can only buy it at your vets office since it's a "prescription". My pup will vomit or have diarrhea if he has anything other than I/D, including treats and bones. It can easy to forget that treats/bones can have an affect on your dogs stomach, since not all treats are made with the best ingredients. I don't even risk giving my pup any treats, I just use his kibble has treats and he is okay with that too. Also, is your pup calm after meal times? If he/she is active after eating, this can cause huge stomach upset. I try to plan play time before my dog eats so he is tired enough to relax after eating. Some dogs have allergies to certain foods, really common in Boston Terriers, I would suggest asking your vet if they will provide you the bland science diet to see if that helps! Oh and it's VERY important to ensure your dog drinks liquids after vomiting because when a dog vomits, they can easily get dehrydrated very quickly and often can be deadly. Put 1/2tsp of unflavored pedialyte (made for infants but is very safe for dogs) in his/her water to help ensure hydration, pedialyte gives your dogs extra electrolytes so they will not become dehydrated

+ Reply to Thread