What to keep in your pets First Aid Kit
It seems our pups get more bug bites, scrapes, nicks, and cuts during the summer, so I thought this would fit in nicely. They have pre-packaged kits just for pets, so you can either make one yourself or buy one. I would also suggest adding Benedryl and a dosage card with your pets current weight and dosage information noted on it. Benedryl is very helpful when pups are stung by bees or other bug bites as well as any outdoor allergy. The dosage is 1 mg per pound of body weight so if your dog weighs 20 pounds, you can give them 20 mg. If you have multiple dogs (or other pets), dont forget to add more supplies to your kit.
At least one of the following:
Bottle of Powder Stypic
A roll or two of Sterile Gauze Bandage
Roll of Adhesive Tape (1/2 " wide)
Bottle of both Eye & Skin wash
Pet Care Card
Pet Emergency Card
At least two of the following:
Triple Antibiotic Ointment
Iodine Antiseptic Wipes
Insect Sting Wipes
Gauze Pad (2" x 2" and 2" x 3")
Green Soap Towelettes
*If your dog gets injured and must be muzzled, one can be safely made using a leash. Sometimes dogs will get aggressive if their scared and in pain so its always better to be on the safe side rather than risk being bitten.
Some 70,000 puppies and kittens are born daily in the US.
4,000,000 to 6,000,000 pets are euthanized every year because they are homeless,11,000 to 16,000 pets are euthanized every day because they are homeless.An animal in a shelter is killed every 1.5 seconds.Only 1 animal in 10 born in the U.S. gets a good home that lasts a lifetime.
Definitely good to have on here!
Sally is Septembers Cutest Dog!
sounds like a great idea!! thanks for putting a list up!
Your pets might fell ill while you take them with you in some carrier. In fact you should keep in your mind that the pets are very prone to diseases. Suppose this happens. Then what will you do? It is quite sure that you will be in lots of problem. But if you will carry the first aid kit with you then you will feel quite safe and secure because you will be able to provide the medication at right time. Hence it is very essential to carry the first aid kit with you.
Some of the tips regarding the first aid kit are as follows:
1. The first thing which you need to make sure is that you need to carry a water proof container with you. You should make sure that it is large enough to carry all the items that are being mentioned below.
2. You will also need to have the gauge pads as well as the cotton gauge. You also need to carry the adhesive tape and the masking tape as well.
3. Make sure that you keep the anti-bacterial ointment as well as hydrogen peroxide as well as the cream in the kit.
4. You should also make sure that you keep the diarrhea medication with you. But you should certainly contact your vet before giving it to them. This is quite essential as the pets are very prone to the diarrhea.
5. You should also make sure that you carry the pair of the scissors as well as the tweezers and the forceps. You should also make sure that you carry the eyedroppers with you. The eye dropper will be very beneficial for you and you will certainly feel quite comfortable with the liquid medication.
6. Sometimes your pets might get poisoned. This is a very serious situation and you will feel quite fearful. In fact you need to contact your vet as soon as possible. You should immediately take the help of the vet nary doctor as soon as possible. Otherwise your pet's life is quite in danger.
7. You should find out the activated charcoal in some health store. This is very good to cure the poisoning as well as the diarrhea.
8. You should also make sure that you have the blanket with you. This is quite essential for you and you will feel quite great with those blankets.
So keep these points in your mind and you will be able to ensure the first aid kit for yourself and your pet.
What are Pet Care Card and Pet Emergency Card? Is this a pet insurance?
"There is no such thing as an ugly Boston Terrier. There are some that are closer to perfection than others, that is all." - Frank Grover
If you have dog at home . It is very must to have first aid box for your dog. Do care of your animals . I like your perspective of discussion topic about what should have in first aid box and how to care. Don't let to give medicine to dog without asking the vat . It can have bad symptom.you must have cotton,bandage ,first aid tape, iodine tablets, vet wrap.
great psot ty im gonna make my kit this weekend perfect timing as were off to the campground next week
Great list! I keep a bottle of Microcyn AH on hand too in case of injuries. It works great to clean and disinfect. A lot of stores don't carry it but you can buy direct from their website: microcynah. com
Great post! Thanks for compiling them. Will probably save them and prepare everything now.