Giardia? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giardia?

Default Giardia?

I was informed that my puppy has Giardia. Its being treated but is still present. I have done some research and seems common enough and no big deal. The breeder says she has to deal with it a lot cause she has a lot of different dogs and a small yard. I was justs wondering your thoughts on it. Can my cats get it? Can my older dog get it? I know I can.

btw I have a lifetime health gurantee so thats nice at least....im just concerned

My Riley had it - it was pretty stubbord to go away, he had to go on two rounds of medicine. It is very common and they say it is spreadable to other animals and even humans. But Riley was around many other dogs and cats and none of them got it. I even paid for my friends dog to be tested to be sure. The worse part he experienced was a an upset tummy the first few days of medicine. Good Luck!

Young Pup

It's very common in puppys. A lot of times puppys will have it and it goes untreated because the owners don't even realize it. You want to make sure that your pup drinks a lot of water and for the first few days of treatment put him/her on a chicken and rice diet because it's very easy on the stomach.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replys, she is being treated by the breeder still and she said she would give us the treatment when we pick her up. Not sure what she is eating now but good tip on the food.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tech24 Click here to enlarge
    I was informed that my puppy has Giardia. Its being treated but is still present. I have done some research and seems common enough and no big deal. The breeder says she has to deal with it a lot cause she has a lot of different dogs and a small yard. I was justs wondering your thoughts on it. Can my cats get it? Can my older dog get it? I know I can.

btw I have a lifetime health gurantee so thats nice at least....im just concerned

You or the puppy have a lifetime guarantee???

Click here to enlarge
    Sally is Septembers Cutest Dog!

How many other dogs does this breeder have? Giardia is passed through feces, I would be curious to know why the young pups are allowed to interact with infected (whether its known or not known) dogs when they havent had their full set of puppy shots, much less why they are able to tromp through other dogs poo.
    Some 70,000 puppies and kittens are born daily in the US.
    4,000,000 to 6,000,000 pets are euthanized every year because they are homeless,
    11,000 to 16,000 pets are euthanized every day because they are homeless.
    An animal in a shelter is killed every 1.5 seconds.
    Only 1 animal in 10 born in the U.S. gets a good home that lasts a lifetime.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Reba-doo Click here to enlarge
    You or the puppy have a lifetime guarantee???
    LOL, yeah the puppy

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ginnafer Click here to enlarge
    How many other dogs does this breeder have? Giardia is passed through feces, I would be curious to know why the young pups are allowed to interact with infected (whether its known or not known) dogs when they havent had their full set of puppy shots, much less why they are able to tromp through other dogs poo.
    She has a a small pack of BTs the puppies do intereact with the other dogs. The breeder is in charge of MD in BTCA and was refered to us by three other people so I assume she knows what she is doing but I agree maybe they should be seperated. I don't know????

Default They can get it a lot of ways.

Yes, feces is the number one way of getting Giardia, but the parasites are all over the ground we walk on. It's only harmful to pups because they don't have the full strength immune systems yet. My Roxie had it, we went to the vet and got procur. It went away, but I guarantee it's going to come back. She like to put everything it her mouth.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roxie has Moxie Click here to enlarge
    Yes, feces is the number one way of getting Giardia, but the parasites are all over the ground we walk on. It's only harmful to pups because they don't have the full strength immune systems yet. My Roxie had it, we went to the vet and got procur. It went away, but I guarantee it's going to come back. She like to put everything it her mouth.
    I believe that is spot on the breeder said due to the amount of dogs in and out of her area that its in the ground. To fix it she will have to dig up the entire yard at least 6 in deep. Im not too worried she is a beautiful little girl and will continue to be well cared for when she arrives home. By the time I pick her up she will have 2nd set of shots and another vet exam so maybe they will be gone of near gone at that time as she has been being treated.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tech24 Click here to enlarge
    LOL, yeah the puppy

She has a a small pack of BTs the puppies do intereact with the other dogs. The breeder is in charge of MD in BTCA and was refered to us by three other people so I assume she knows what she is doing but I agree maybe they should be seperated. I don't know????

If she has the background with BTCA and has shown you proof then thats great, sounds like she just needs to slow down on the litters or something!

As for the lifetime guarantee on the puppy..... it drives me nuts when a breeder says that their puppies have a lifetime guarantee cause that is just ridiculous in my eyes! Over the years dogs get colds, problems, etc. How can they say this puppy has a lifetime guarantee when they cannot predict anything!!! Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Sally is Septembers Cutest Dog!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast