what to do about the flatulence?! - Page 4 Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: what to do about the flatulence?!

Mine go once, sometimes twice. If we walk a LOT, Truman might go again, but Peggy Sue is a once a day gal.
    Click here to enlarge

Molly is on a really high quality kibble and only poops once, maybe twice a day. When she does go it is darker in color and really well formed. I do notice a difference right away if she has been at my mother-in-laws (where she gets a ton of crap food regardless of what I say). She has never really had a big problem with gas. She farts in her sleep, but she sleeps in the other room in her kennel so I don't have to smell it. She also gets gassy when she has too much cheese. When she does fart (which is about once a week), she usually scares herself. She will pass gas and then spin around and look behind her, trying to figure out where it came from. Every once in a while she will smell what she has done and run away!

hmmm.. do you think i should be concerned?

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Jasper eats high quality food (Acana Grasslands) and usually poops three times a day. He still has gas but it's definitely not as bad as it was when he ate Royal Canine MediCal from the vet's office. His gas is definitely much worse (smell and frequency) when he eats anything other than his food. I bought some peanut butter treats for his Kong and the results are horrible. I'll have to find a better grain free, chicken free treat that fits in his Kong.
    Click here to enlarge

chicken free? i knew grains were bad, but is chicken bad too?

Chicken isn't bad but it can cause allergies. Before we switched food, Jasper was nibbling a lot on his paws, enough that you could see his skin was irritated and pink. He also used to get rashes on his belly. The vet didn't think it was food allergies and, of course, she was pushing the Royal Canine MediCal food she sells. So I decided to switch him anyway. No more itching or rashes. There's still a chance it's environmental for Jasper, like grass in the summer but I'm so happy with the improvement in his overall appearance and even poops and farts that I won't give him chicken or grains any more. Maybe when he's older I'll try again.
    Click here to enlarge

When we first got Lilly she was being fed Diamond puppy. The gas was deadly all day long. Gradually switched her to Innova EVO and the smell isnt quite as bad and frequency has decreased. Also give her tbsp of low fat cottage cheese with each 1/2 cup given am and pm. via elevated feeder bowls. I don't really buy into BT's being gassier due to being brachycephalic breed, as my brussels griffon, also brachycephalic, isn't nearly as gassy or stinky. We are adapting.

after switching Rocco acana pacifica (fish) grain free, he noticeably has less gas, and when he does pooter, it's totally tolerable. when i was feeding him innova puppy, he could clear the room. also they sell bowls that have special raised designs that are in the middle of the bowl so it slows the dog down. i haven't tried it, but just thought it's a good idea. unless your boston completely has no snout, then it may be difficult.
    Click here to enlarge
    ROCCO - Blue & White Boston Terrier | Follow Rocco on Twitter!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234