Pectus carinatum (pigeon chest)???? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pectus carinatum (pigeon chest)????

Young Pup

Default Pectus carinatum (pigeon chest)????

Hi all.
    I have a little 12 week Boston named Bruce (Wayne) lol I've always noticed his rib cage was a little weird. he is my first Boston and I just thought it was due to BT's slender build. However, somebody queried it recently and it led me to google it. Apparently this is not normal Click here to enlarge and it's called a pectus carinatum and can lead to heart and lung issues Click here to enlarge does anybody have any experience with this? I'm so gutted as I paid £1100 for my pup so I didn't expect him to have physical issues. Also we love him so much so I dread the thought of him having any issues later on.
    Does anyone have an older dog with this that can offer solace lol because I'm quite worried now Click here to enlarge I'm at the vets on Tuesday for his 2nd vaccinations so ill have the opportunity to ask about it then.

I have not seen that, sorry to here, hopefully the vet can help, maybe it is something that changes as they grow, good luck.

Young Pup

I'm resurrecting this thread in the hopes that one of the previous posters is able to provide an update on their dog. We have a 12 week old BT named Blu and we just learned she has pectus carinatum (pigeon chest). This is covered by the breeder's contract, however we are torn on how to proceed. It's only been 4 weeks but the family has already fallen in love with this little girl.A couple weeks ago we started to notice that her chest felt odd. She also seemed to be laboring to breathe. When we took her to the vet, they provided the diagnosis, however the vet we saw that day had never seen pectus carinatum before. A couple of the other vets had seen it, but never in a boston. The vet told us she believed it was purely cosmetic and nothing to be concerned about. She also did a blood test and found a respiratory infection which she believed was causing the breathing trouble. We went back today to see a vet that has seen this before but he's only seen it in bulldogs. He said it wasn't an issue with that breed because they are so sedentary, but it could be an issue with a lively boston like ours. He wants to treat the infection and then focus on the pigeon chest.If this is going to have a negative impact on this little girl's quality of life, we'd like to know before the family gets any more attached. Our daughter is still struggling with the loss of our last dog almost a year ago. We'd hate for her to have to go through something like that again so soon. However we also want to avoid breaking the bond she and all of us have already formed with Blu. The breeder said she would take her back, but we'd like to avoid that if she's going to healthy otherwise. We couldn't care less if it's cosmetic, but want to do what we can to gain confidence in the type of life she can expect so we can figure out what's best for all. Is anybody on here able to speak to the health of their boston that was also diagnosed with this? We would greatly appreciate any insight into the impact on the breed.

+ Reply to Thread