Raw Diet Verus a Dry Kibble? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raw Diet Verus a Dry Kibble?

Default Raw Diet Verus a Dry Kibble?

Hey, I was just wondering how many of you feed your bostons raw diets and is it better?

Is it good for ones with alergeys? Do you mix veggies in witht the meat? And how much is it to feed a month?

Just interested in a Raw Diet for my Boston Lilly she is 15 months old and 12 pounds.

Click here to enlarge

American Gentleman

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/
    Check out this forum for more info on Raw diets..

I feed both my boston and my great dane prey model raw. The boston is about 15 pounds and eats about 3/4 of a pound per day. The dogs usually eat 2-3% of their ideal weight per day, but it varies. To feed both of the dogs, it costs about $70 a month. I don't feed any veggies, just meat, bones, and organs. I don't know about allergies, as my dogs don't have that problem. It is a bit of a process to get started, make sure you do your research before starting a raw diet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Raw is the most easily absorbed nutrition your dog can get, followed by home-cooked or canned and the very last is kibble--which can take up to 18 hours to digest and can really affect life span and organs if you feed something full of grains and fillers that your dog is not equipped to digest well.

Depending on your preferences, you can feed raw for less than kibble. Some cities have raw feeding co-ops to keep costs down as well--mine does and I plan to hop on that one to get my hands on the rarer proteins like rabbit for under $7/lb. as all three of mine have food allergies (all were raw-fed, the boys were weened to raw after a raw-fed pregnancy by their mom) to the most common, cheap proteins. I personally feel like if you feed raw, you need to be very careful about your source--factory farmed meats will carry a much larger bacteria load than meats from a smaller outfit. You cannot go feed cheap ground beef as it's loaded with formaldehyde and arsenic to fight bacteria from the meat processing plant, etc. All that stuff burns off when cooked, so it's 'safe' for humans (I don't think so). So seek out the best meats you can. Grass fed beef and pastured chickens are the best, but those really jack up the price. You can also make friends with hunters if you are rural and get into their venison if they get too much or have some that's freezer-burned Click here to enlarge

You want to have about 80% muscle meat, 10% organ and 10% bone in your mix. Make sure any bones you use are consumable--like bird bones, ribs on smaller animals, etc. Never feed a load-bearing bone of a large animal like a lamb, cow, etc. Those are too dense and can cause blockages. Always feed more meat than bone in a meal (obviously, with that ratio). And you'll need to be sure you get a CBC every year to check organ function to be sure you're doing things right.

I love raw diets--my dogs do, too. I just don't love the cost for mine who need buffalo ($9/lb), rabbit ($7/lb) and more exotic fare. They all eat a pound a day--that adds up quick. So I've been stuck with canned and kibble. Even that is expensive. Sigh.
    Click here to enlarge

+ Reply to Thread