Please Help Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help

Default Please Help

Poor Bruiser is all itchy and red. I have tried many different grain free foods. He is on TOTW Pacific Stream right now. I don't think its the food, but I don't really have money for all the allergy testing. Can anyone tell me if this looks like food allergies? I have tried benadryl for about two weeks and it seems to help a little. Been very frustrating.

IMAG1290.jpg

Aww poor guy. I was going to suggest bendaryl but if you are already doing that I am not sure?? Have you tried putting an anti itch ointment like cortizone too? Click here to enlarge
    -Sonja (Bella's mom)

Click here to enlarge

I have tried anti itch creams as well and it seems to help a little bit, but I would like to know whats causing it and make it go away. I really think its the grass but he loves to play outside...lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Maybe some kind of allergy from something in the grass or on the grass. Maybe some kind of chemical. I know when I would get sea lice or chicken pox or anything my mom would use that aveeno oatmeal bath stuff its very soothing maybe try that too. Poor little Bruiser w/ that red belly! Click here to enlarge
    -Sonja (Bella's mom)

Click here to enlarge

Everything I try seems to help a little and then it flares back up. Just thought maybe someone out there may have dog that has same issues with the redness and could tell what its from.

American Gentleman

My Tank has allergies and gets many rashes....he has both food and environmental confirmed with allergy testing. We have his food issues under control and now just deal with environmental flare ups every so often. A rash like that could be either food or environment, but I'm leaning towards something he's coming in contact with other than foods..
    Could be a grass/pollen issue. You could try wiping him down with a wash cloth or baby wipes when he comes in from outside. Try putting a t-shirt on him also, that helps many dogs. Benadryl works well for a lot of dogs, but some don't respond well to it. There are other ant-histamines you could try, some OTC and some prescription. What dosing are you giving for Benadryl?? You can give 2mg per 1lb, 3 times a day, could be you aren't giving enough.

For foods, I use TOTW fish and lamb for my allergy pup...but just depends on the dog what they are allergic to and usually a fish based food is a good start, works for many allergy sufferers. Also, consider all treats and any table scraps he's getting. Cut out everything except kibble for about 2 weeks and see if there is any change, use kibble for treats.

I have a number of topical treatments for Tank, most are from the company Virbac and only 1 is prescription. Genesis Spray is a topical steroid which I've had much success with, it's a prescription http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...7&pcatid=10827 .
    I also use ResiCORT which is a leave in lotion with hydrocortizone http://www.entirelypets.com/resleavcon8o.html . They also have some nice shampoos and conditioners for dogs with rashes such as Epi-Soothe http://www.entirelypets.com/epmedsham8oz.html

Chlorpheniramine is an OTC antihistamine that works well for some dogs, you can buy the people kind at any pharmacy store. It's usually called something with Chlor in the title.
    Another is Tavist which is Clemastine.
    And you can figure out dosing from here http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pet-me...ps/c/9547/9588

Update on Bruiser. So I took Bruiser to the vet and they did a liitle skin scraping to check for skin conditions and everything was ok. The vet told me he was too young to have allergie, that really blew me away. I don't know how true that is but thats what he said.
    The vet said he was going to treat Bruiser with a topical spray called Genta. He also put him on some pill for two weeks. I asked the vet what exactly he was treat Bruiser for and he just said a contact issue. Still don't know what that means but I wasn't going to argue. He said Bruieser must have come into contact with something that caused the rash. I didn't understand how that could cause him to have contant itching and scratching for months.
    Brusiser is looking much better for now, curious to see if it all comes back after the med is gone. Wish us luck. Any input welcomed Click here to enlarge

Truman started developing allergies at 9 months after his rabies shot. He got an infection in his skin fold, he was put on antibiotics and he's been red and having problems ever since. I've since learned that there are some dogs who genetically cannot handle vaccines and he is one. A simple blood test could have figured that one out. He got a lot worse at a year to 18 months, now is somewhat improving as his immune system levels out as he nears three. I've also had blood work done to confirm a hormone imbalance called Plechner's Syndrome, basically, the adrenal glands are not formed properly and their hormone balance is out of whack as a result. The symptoms are allergies and skin and behavior problems. First thing to do is get their food worked out so you have 3-4 things they can eat without reacting to and rotate those. That usually fixes the problem. Not with mine, though. Next step, very low doses of hydrocortisone to balance out their immune system. In dogs with this imbalance, steroids actually replace the cortisol they are not producing or are not absorbing and they balance them out as opposed to suppressing and harming the immune system as in a normal dog.

Keep tabs on Bruiser--this syndrome is very common, and is probably behind many of the allergies seen in dogs across the board, not just purebreds. If you read, order a cops of "Pets At Risk" to learn more. It sure made everything clear for me after a couple years of scratching my head!
    Click here to enlarge

Thank you I will keep all that in mind. Just want Bruiser to be happy and healthy!

Happy to hear Bruiser is getting better Click here to enlarge
    -Sonja (Bella's mom)

Click here to enlarge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast