ACIDOPHILUS? Anyone ever given this to your boston? Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACIDOPHILUS? Anyone ever given this to your boston?

Default ACIDOPHILUS? Anyone ever given this to your boston?

I met a lady today who was telling me that this Acidophilus really helps with her dogs allergys. They have excess yeast issues. And she was also informing me that alot of dogs allergys is due to yeast.

Has anyone heard of this before? Also Has anyone ever given this to thier Bostons?

Lilly has skin issues, chewing and licking of the paws so bad that she almost completly went bald on her paws. We now have her on a really good antihistamine form the vet. But I am interested in trying this also but was wondering if anyone has any real info on it? Also the best brand to buy?

Thank You
    Lillys Mom

Yup!! Probiotics are KEY to a dog's immune system. Yeast is always present in the body--but there is a proper balance. When that balance gets out of whack, your dog produces an overgrowth of yeast. You primarily see this in their feet and other moist areas like the crease by the hind leg. They lick and make the problem worse. You combat this two ways--internally with probiotics and a diet low in carbohydrates (they feed the yeast), and externally with a wipe like MalAcetic (on Amazon) or Zymox has a spray that my vet says works even better. You take away the yeast on the skin manually which keeps the itches and licking down, and help their systems regulate themselves with internal probiotics. It's the exact same with humans, BTW.

What causes an overgrowth? Courses of antibiotics is number one, and another one is antibiotics in the municipal water. Some experts think this is why we are getting 'super bugs'. Other thoughts are immune system imbalances like with allergies. It's good to help your dog along however you gan--probiotics and enzymes are how I work with mine. Enzymes re unnecessary if you feed a raw diet, though. So every time you have to use antibiotics (and that should really be on your deathbed), follow up with probiotics. And if you use municipal water, add probiotics. I like the powdered form I get from a refrigerator at my local health food store. The fridge keeps them stable. I don't know of any shelf-stable ones.

I used to be one who said to only use probiotics every six weeks for a week to give them a boost. I think that's smart for healthy dogs, but with dogs who have chronic problems, daily use is probably better.
    Click here to enlarge

American Gentleman

I use probiotics, enzymes and fish oils for my dogs especially the one with allergy issues and I do believe they help.
    I have this one http://www.thewholedog.org/enzymespro.html Great Life Pro+.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

Is this the "live culture" found in yogurt? My westie has terrible skin problems.

Yes it is. You can use plain yogurt, but I prefer a powdered probiotic in case there are sensitivities to dairy. It's best if you can find them at a health food store that carries them in the fridge as very few are shelf-stable.
    Click here to enlarge

American Gentleman

Yup, yogurt helps a lot of dogs who are gassy...use plain, non-fat yogurt to avoid the extra sugar and fat content. Some dogs do have a dairy sensitivity though, my Tank showed a reaction on his allergy tests. I think a probiotic supplement is better than yogurt for more chronic conditions, because you can dose it better and provide more of the beneficial bacteria than with feeding yogurt.

I started adding the plain, non-fat yogurt to everyone's kibble. Grace, my westie, is worse than ever after about a week. She has scabs from scratching and biting herself and the hair on her legs is thinning out from the licking. So I'm guessing she has a dairy sensitivity. I'll look for the probiotic supplement.

Probably from the sound of it! They can also go through a 'healing crisis' when you add something like a probiotic as they detox whatever has been bothering them. but I think you are right--ditch the diary and see what happens.
    Click here to enlarge

American Gentleman

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terminator Click here to enlarge
    I started adding the plain, non-fat yogurt to everyone's kibble. Grace, my westie, is worse than ever after about a week. She has scabs from scratching and biting herself and the hair on her legs is thinning out from the licking. So I'm guessing she has a dairy sensitivity. I'll look for the probiotic supplement.
    Tank's allergy testing shows he is allergic to dairy, so yup it's possible that pup doesn't tolerate it and you will need to use a probiotic instead of yogurt.
    I was at the vitamin store recently and noticed that they have a section for animals, so you could try a local vitamin supply store or a whole foods market. You can use human kind also....

Rocky had issues with yeast infections as well. I think ultimately, it has to do with a chicken allergy. I don't know if you feed dry food but I always by food that has a lot of probiotics in it now and haven't had trouble since. I've been changing his food up as well, about once every two months, rotating between Fromms Beef Veg Fritatta and Wellness Core Ocean Blend....I'm trying to find a lamb based food to throw into the rotation as well (any suggestions?). Anyway, rocky has been tip top since switching the food (i think mainly due to taking him off of chicken completely), but the probiotics help him when we switch foods, he doesn't get any runny stools when I switch him cold as long as its a good quality food.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast