Flying with a Boston Terrier Special for Boston Terrier visitors: FREE Shipping on Dog Food (USA Only)! at Petflow.com. Orders $49+
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flying with a Boston Terrier

Young Pup

Default Flying with a Boston Terrier

Hi Guys!

I am really happy I found this great forum! Hope someone will be able to give me a good piece of advice.

We are travelling to Europe this summer with our 1.5 year old Boston Terrier - Bentley. We will have to take two flights: first Houston – Frankfurt on Lufthansa and then another 1hr30min connecting flight on a smaller plane. I have done as much research as possible regarding flying with Bostons but I still have some concerns. When booking the tickets, I made sure that we had a good connection for the dog. I took an extra long layover in Germany so that the dog can relax a little (7 hours). On the way back, we will spend a night in Germany so he can get some rest again. Besides, I hear that Lufthansa takes really great care of the pets. They even have an Animal Lounge in Frankfurt where they will clean his kennel, walk him and most importantly he will get checked out by a vet! It still doesn’t change the fact that we are travelling in July... and July in Houston is HELL. I know that the weather in combination with any tranquilizers and short nose (his is not very short for a BT) could be dangerous. On the other hand, people travel with the pets all the time… I guess I just need some reassurance and/or advice.

Has anyone flown with their BT overseas on LH or any other airline during summer months? Did you give them any tranquilizers? Any advice?

My dog means the world to me and I don’t know what I would do if anything happened to him. I get a teary eye just thinking about the trip and not being able to see him for the 20 hours that our trip will take. I hope it will all go smoothly...

Thanks,
    Marc

Hi, I use to work for Horizon Airlines in Portland Or. And during the summer they ban cargo travel of all short nose breed dogs. Pugs, frenches, english bulldogs and bostons. I would highly recomend seeing if your dog can travel with you in a carrier under your seat. That way there would not be any heat issues and your pet could be comforted by you during the flight.

I dont want to alarm you but on the tarmac it is 10 degrees hotter. And sometimes while unloading the cargo and luggage pets can sit there for a little bit waiting for someone to drive them to cargo or the baggage area.

It would be less stress on you and your boston, but sometimes its not possible to do this. So just make sure they understand that your dog can over heat very quickly, I know they will try to make your Boston as comfortable as possible.

lindsey

Young Pup

Hi! I want to take my Boston with me to Santiago, Dominican Republic, where I'll be living for a year. Jet Blue, American, Delta and Continental go. So far, I've been told that he can't travel as luggage or as cargo because he's a "brachy" dog, and he can't come in the cabin because he won't fit under the seat in front of me. I can charter a flight on a small private plane. Wondering if I have all this right....and if anyone has every flown a private jet (small and not luxurious) with a Boston. Would love info/advice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BostonTerrierForums.com
    Advertisements

I'm wondering if you tried to request paying for a seat for the dog? I'm sure it's against standard policy but for moving for a year - might think they could consider an exception. Of the four carriers I would think Jet Blue might be more willing- little less of the big carrier name, and known for service...

Young Pup

Default flying with a bt

hi marc,

yes i have tried purchasing a seat. jetblue has new policies. i even hired a consultant at pettravel.com. they told me to charter. i even looked into cruises.

i am writing because i have tried all the options i could find, and have come to believe that the only way will be a charter.

i have a question about the health of my boston terrier when flying in a small, private plane. would it pose any more risks than a commercial plane - what should i know or do.

i have investigated flying with my boston for more than 3 months. that being said, i could have overlooked something. if anyone has a suggestion (and not just a vague idea at this point - but one based in knowledge and experience) i'm happy to follow up.

Ok so there might be two more options for you.

One kinda extreme but, might be worth it for you.

You can go to your Dr and tell him that lets say you have anxiety flying and need to have your dog with you while flying.

Then your dog is classified as a Service Animal and now it can travel in cabin with you on any airline. You just need the paper work from your DR. I use to work for Horizon Airlines.

Another one, I don't know a lot about it but my friend is going to be moving from LA to New York and has a fat pug Click here to enlarge. He is about 40 pounds, so he is too big to be in cabin and since no snot he cant be under the plane. She found a special airline that is just for animals. They ride in the cabin in their kennels with there own flight attendants to look after them.

I am sorry I don't know the name of the airline but I am sure you can google it.

If the first option doesn't look good to you I would look into this special airline seeing how close you can get to your final destination and then your options from there.

Good Luck!!!
    Lindsey

+ Reply to Thread